Simple algebra problem (fields)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation x²+x+41=0 in the fields Z43 and Z167. The first solution is found to be x=1 in Z43, and the discussion continues to find the solution in Z167. It is eventually discovered that using Z167's division operator leads to the correct solution.
nowits
[SOLVED] Simple algebra problem (fields)

Homework Statement

Solve x²+x+41=0 in the fields Z43 and Z167

2. The attempt at a solution
Well Z43={0,1,...,42} so any y that is n=0 mod 43 works...

x²+x+41=0=43 -> x²+x=2 -> x=1

Is this how it's done or am I doing it incorrectly?

If the solution above is right, then what about the same equation in the field Z167? I can't find any x that is in that field and solves the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
nowits said:

Homework Statement

Solve x²+x+41=0 in the fields Z43 and Z167
Don't be intimidated by the fact you're working in a finite field! It's just a quadratic equation, and you've known how to solve them for a long time!

2. The attempt at a solution
Well Z43={0,1,...,42} so any y that is n=0 mod 43 works...
Huh? y? n?

x²+x+41=0=43 -> x²+x=2 -> x=1

Is this how it's done or am I doing it incorrectly?
The first implication is correct (and it's an "if-and-only-if"), but you have the second one backwards. x=1 is one solution to that quadratic, but you have not proven it is the only solution.

How would you normally solve x2+ x- 2= 0? What are its roots? What do negative numbers correspond to "mod 43"?

Thanks for your answers.

But I still don't get it for Z167:

x²+x+41=167
x²+x-126=0

[tex]x=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1-4\cdot 1\cdot(-126)}}{2}[/tex]

The only way I get a reasonable result from that is if (under the square root):
1-4*1*(-126)=505=4
or: -126=41 => 4*1*41=164 => 1-4*1*(-126)=1-164=-163=4
or: -4*1*(-126)=504=3 => 1-4*1*(-126)=1+3=4

[tex]x=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{4}}{2}=\frac{-1\pm 2}{2}[/tex]

But then neither of the possible values of x is in Z167.

Last edited:
nowits said:
[tex]x=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{4}}{2}=\frac{-1\pm 2}{2}[/tex]

But then neither of the possible values of x is in Z167.
You're working in Z167, so shouldn't you use its division operator, rather than the division operator for rational numbers?

Yes, right.

I tried that but got a result that didn't solve the equation so I thought that my approach was wrong.

I tried it once again and this time got a result that works.

Ok, I've got it.

Thanks!

What is a simple algebra problem?

A simple algebra problem is an equation or expression with one or more variables, where the goal is to find the value of the variable(s) that make the equation or expression true.

What are the basic rules of algebra?

The basic rules of algebra include the commutative property (changing the order of terms does not change the result), the associative property (changing the grouping of terms does not change the result), the distributive property (multiplying a term by a sum or difference), and the inverse property (adding or subtracting the same number to both sides of the equation).

What are the common fields in algebra?

The common fields in algebra include the real numbers (all positive and negative numbers), the rational numbers (numbers that can be expressed as a fraction), the integers (whole numbers and their opposites), and the natural numbers (counting numbers).

How do you solve a simple algebra problem?

To solve a simple algebra problem, first identify the variable and write an equation or expression for the problem. Then use the basic rules of algebra to simplify the equation or expression. Finally, isolate the variable by using inverse operations and solve for its value.

What are some real-world applications of simple algebra problems?

Simple algebra problems can be used in many real-world scenarios, such as calculating the cost of items on sale, determining the speed or distance of an object, and finding the missing value in a recipe or construction project. They are also commonly used in financial planning and budgeting.