1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple angular acceleration problemhelp

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1

Nm

Two masses (mA= 2 kg, mB= 4 kg) are attached to a (massless) meter stick, at the 0 and 75 cm marks. The system is then hung from a string, so that it stays horizontal. Now, if mass B was removed, and no additional force was supplied, calculate the size of the angular acceleration of the meter stick at that instant.

I calculated the center of mass to be at the 50 cm mark, but I don't know how to get the angular acceleration. Do I just use +rF/mr^2 = angular acceleration? I got the wrong answer form that. This seems like a simple problem, but maybe I'm thinking too much..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think what you're looking for is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration. Here it is: torque = moment of inertia X angular acceleration.

4. Nov 14, 2005 #3

Nm

I used that relationship to get inertia of a point mass to equal mr^2 and the net torque to equal rFsin90. From the two equations I got angular acceleration to equal F/mr. Am I really far off because I don't know the force...?

5. Nov 14, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force is the weight of the suspended object!

6. Nov 14, 2005 #5

Nm

If the weight is mg, the angular acceleration would be 9.8m/s^2/(2kg)(0.75m)?

7. Nov 14, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't forget the force holding the meter stick in place!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?