Simple angular acceleration problemhelp

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of two masses attached to a meter stick and hung from a string. The center of mass is calculated to be at the 50 cm mark and the problem of finding the angular acceleration is addressed. The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is mentioned and used to calculate the inertia of a point mass and the net torque. The conversation also reminds to take into account the force holding the meter stick in place when calculating the angular acceleration.
Nm
Two masses (mA= 2 kg, mB= 4 kg) are attached to a (massless) meter stick, at the 0 and 75 cm marks. The system is then hung from a string, so that it stays horizontal. Now, if mass B was removed, and no additional force was supplied, calculate the size of the angular acceleration of the meter stick at that instant.

I calculated the center of mass to be at the 50 cm mark, but I don't know how to get the angular acceleration. Do I just use +rF/mr^2 = angular acceleration? I got the wrong answer form that. This seems like a simple problem, but maybe I'm thinking too much..

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you're looking for is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration. Here it is: torque = moment of inertia X angular acceleration.

I used that relationship to get inertia of a point mass to equal mr^2 and the net torque to equal rFsin90. From the two equations I got angular acceleration to equal F/mr. Am I really far off because I don't know the force...?

The force is the weight of the suspended object!

If the weight is mg, the angular acceleration would be 9.8m/s^2/(2kg)(0.75m)?

Don't forget the force holding the meter stick in place!

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula is α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is angular acceleration, ω is angular velocity, and t is time.

3. What is a simple angular acceleration problem?

A simple angular acceleration problem involves finding the angular acceleration of an object given its initial and final angular velocities, as well as the time it takes to change between those velocities.

4. What units are used to measure angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2), but it can also be expressed in degrees per second squared (deg/s^2).

5. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational motion is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's translational motion is changing. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2) while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).