Simple Atwood apparatus question

• Thread starter mcshadypl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atwood
In summary, the conversation was about an Atwood machine and calculating the tension in the string. The person initially thought the tension was 0.5m*g, but later realized that each half of the person would have a mass of 0.5m. The final conclusion was that the tension is equal to half of the person's mass times gravity. The use of pulleys can be counter-intuitive and requires careful consideration.
mcshadypl
I had this question on the MCAT earlier, and I'm not sure if I did it properly.
There is an Atwood machine such that a person of mass m is holding onto both ends of the string. What is the tension in the string? According to my calculations, since a=0 since the string is not moving, T=0.5m*g. I think if you would cut the person in half, each half, m1 and m2, would have a mass of 0.5m. Thus:
T-m1g= ma
m2g-T=ma
So a=0 since there is no acceleration and m1=m2=0.5m. This gives us T=0.5mg Did I approach this correctly? I've enclosed a picture of the problem:

http://img217.imageshack.us/i/68744608.jpg/

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 364
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. Rather than cut the person in half, just realize that the ropes pull up on the person twice:
2T - mg = 0, thus T = mg/2.

Thanks for your help! That makes more sense.

Yeah, pulleys can be counter-intuitive if you are not careful. So I tend to be extra careful when dealing with them :).

1. What is a Simple Atwood apparatus?

A Simple Atwood apparatus is a simple machine used to demonstrate the principles of acceleration and force. It consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses of different weights.

2. How does a Simple Atwood apparatus work?

The heavier mass is attached to one end of the string, while the lighter mass is attached to the other end. The string is then run over the pulley, and when released, the lighter mass will accelerate towards the ground while the heavier mass will accelerate away from the ground due to the force of gravity.

3. What is the purpose of a Simple Atwood apparatus?

The purpose of a Simple Atwood apparatus is to demonstrate the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It can also be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors affect the acceleration of the masses in a Simple Atwood apparatus?

The acceleration of the masses in a Simple Atwood apparatus is affected by the difference in their weights, the angle of the string, and the friction of the pulley.

5. How is the acceleration due to gravity calculated using a Simple Atwood apparatus?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated by using the equation: a = (m1-m2)g / (m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the weights of the masses and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).