Voltage Calculations for Simple Circuit with Switches - VA and VB

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
Therefore, when both switches are open, VA will still be 0V and VB will still be 0V. 2. When VA is open and VB is closed, current can flow from the positive terminal of the battery through the 15Ω resistor to VB, then to the closed switch, then to the 8V source and finally to the negative terminal of the battery. This forms a circuit. Therefore, VA = 0V and VB = 8V.3. When VA is closed and VB is open, current can flow from the positive terminal of the battery through the 12Ω resistor to VA, then to the closed switch, then to the 8V source and finally to the negative terminal of the
ƒ(x)

Homework Statement

I'm going to try drawing the circuit. Numbers are added to it for reference. I apologize for the formatting. I'm not sure how to do white space. Edit: for VB the + is on top.

VA and VB are switches.

I need to figure out the voltage across VA and VBB when they are:
1. open, open
2. open, closed
3. closed, open
4. closed, closed

1-------(+ VA -)-------(+ 8 V -)-------2--------------3
|_______________________________|___________|
12Ω____________________________15Ω_______(+ VB -)
|_______________________________|___________|
6-----------------------------------------5--------------4

Homework Equations

V = IR
Kirchhoff's Laws

The Attempt at a Solution

1. When they are both open there isn't a circuit. So, VA = 0 V and VB = 0 V.
2. Again, no circuit.
3. There is a circuit. It has a total resistance of 27 Ω (I don't know if this matters). VA = -8 V and VB = 0 V.
4. I'm not sure about this one. There are two loops, but loop 1256 has a total resistance of 27 Ω and loop 1346 has a total resistance of 12 Ω. So 1256 gets 27/39 = 9/13 of the current and voltage and 1346 gets 12/39 = 4/13 of the current and voltage? So VA = -8*9/13 V and VB = -8*4/13 V?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ƒ(x) said:
Circuit or no circuit, does not give the answer. If a voltmeter (or any device) were to be connected between the 2 terminals of the switch in question, would that form a path for current to flow through the meter? If so, what voltage would it register? That's the question you must address.

Code:
If you wish to construct ASCII diagrams, enclose those lines
between [b][[/b][b]code][/b] and [b][/code[/b][b]][/b] statements to display in a
fixed-width font.

You need a circuit for current to flow. You don't need a circuit for a voltage to be present. For example a 9V battery still produces 9V even when it's disconnected from the circuit.

I would like to clarify a few things about the given circuit and proposed solutions. Firstly, the circuit shown is a series-parallel circuit, which means that the resistors are connected both in series and in parallel. This complicates the calculations as the total resistance is not simply the sum of the individual resistances. Additionally, the switches VA and VB are not labeled with their respective positions (open or closed) for each scenario, which could affect the calculations.

To accurately calculate the voltage across VA and VB, we would need to know the positions of the switches for each scenario. Assuming that the switches are labeled correctly and that the top of the circuit is connected to the positive terminal of a battery, here is a possible solution for each scenario:

1. When both switches are open, there is no complete circuit and no current flows. Therefore, the voltage across VA and VB is 0 V.

2. When VA is open and VB is closed, the circuit is a simple series circuit with a total resistance of 27 Ω. Using Ohm's law (V = IR), the current flowing through the circuit is I = V/R = (8 V)/(27 Ω) = 0.296 A. Since VA is open, there is no voltage drop across it, so VA = 0 V. For VB, the voltage drop is V = IR = (0.296 A)(15 Ω) = 4.44 V. However, since VB is connected to the positive terminal of the battery, the voltage across VB is actually 8 V - 4.44 V = 3.56 V.

3. When VA is closed and VB is open, the circuit is a simple parallel circuit with a total resistance of 12 Ω. Using Ohm's law, the current flowing through the circuit is I = V/R = (8 V)/(12 Ω) = 0.667 A. Since VB is open, there is no voltage drop across it, so VB = 0 V. For VA, the voltage drop is V = IR = (0.667 A)(12 Ω) = 8 V. However, since VA is connected to the positive terminal of the battery, the voltage across VA is actually 8 V - 8 V = 0 V.

4. When both switches are closed, the circuit is a combination of two series circuits: 1256 and 1346. The

1. What is the purpose of calculating voltage in a simple circuit with switches?

Calculating voltage in a simple circuit with switches allows us to understand the flow of electricity and how different components affect it. This information is crucial for proper circuit design and troubleshooting.

2. How do I calculate voltage in a simple circuit with switches?

To calculate voltage in a simple circuit with switches, you will need to use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). You will also need to take into account the voltage drops across each component in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between VA and VB in voltage calculations for a simple circuit with switches?

In a simple circuit with switches, VA and VB represent the voltage at different points in the circuit. VA refers to the voltage at the point where the switch is connected, while VB refers to the voltage at the point where the switch is disconnected.

4. How do switches affect voltage calculations in a simple circuit?

Switches have a negligible effect on voltage calculations in a simple circuit. This is because they are designed to have very low resistance, so they do not significantly impact the flow of electricity. However, it is important to take into account the voltage drops across switches when calculating total voltage in a circuit.

5. Can I use the same voltage calculation method for all types of simple circuits with switches?

Yes, the voltage calculation method remains the same for all types of simple circuits with switches. This is because the fundamental principles of Ohm's law and voltage drops apply to all circuits, regardless of their complexity or configuration.