1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple circuit question

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm going to try drawing the circuit. Numbers are added to it for reference. I apologize for the formatting. I'm not sure how to do white space. Edit: for VB the + is on top.

VA and VB are switches.

I need to figure out the voltage across VA and VBB when they are:
    1. open, open
    2. open, closed
    3. closed, open
    4. closed, closed

1-------(+ VA -)-------(+ 8 V -)-------2--------------3
    |_______________________________|___________|
    12Ω____________________________15Ω_______(+ VB -)
    |_______________________________|___________|
    6-----------------------------------------5--------------4

2. Relevant equations
    V = IR
    Kirchhoff's Laws

3. The attempt at a solution

1. When they are both open there isn't a circuit. So, VA = 0 V and VB = 0 V.
    2. Again, no circuit.
    3. There is a circuit. It has a total resistance of 27 Ω (I don't know if this matters). VA = -8 V and VB = 0 V.
    4. I'm not sure about this one. There are two loops, but loop 1256 has a total resistance of 27 Ω and loop 1346 has a total resistance of 12 Ω. So 1256 gets 27/39 = 9/13 of the current and voltage and 1346 gets 12/39 = 4/13 of the current and voltage? So VA = -8*9/13 V and VB = -8*4/13 V?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Circuit or no circuit, does not give the answer. If a voltmeter (or any device) were to be connected between the 2 terminals of the switch in question, would that form a path for current to flow through the meter? If so, what voltage would it register? That's the question you must address.

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Code (Text):
    If you wish to construct ASCII diagrams, enclose those lines
    between [b][[/b][b]code][/b] and [b][/code[/b][b]][/b] statements to display in a
    fixed-width font.

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need a circuit for current to flow. You don't need a circuit for a voltage to be present. For example a 9V battery still produces 9V even when it's disconnected from the circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook