Simple complex number question

In summary, to find the complex numbers with given modulus and argument, use the formulas Modulus = ((a)^2 + (b)^2)^1/2 and Arg = the angle. For (a), the correct answer is 1+0i. For (b), the answer is -3/2 - (3^1/2)/2 i. And for (c), the answer is -6.918 + 1.067i.
Crosshash

Homework Statement

3. Write down the (x+iy) form for the complex numbers with the following modulus and argument (in radians):
(a) Modulus 1, argument pi
(b) Modulus 3, argument -pi/3
(c)Modulus 7, argument -4

Homework Equations

Modulus = ((a)^2 + (b)^2)^1/2
Arg = the angle

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm basically just checking to see if I've got the right method.

(a)If Modulus = 1 and the argument = pi, then that would mean the angle is theta = 0. The only way to achieve this would to be if the imaginary part = 0, so the answer is:
1+0i or just 1

(b)This is where I start to get confused. If the argument = -pi/3 then I can use pythagoras to find the adjacent and hypoteneuse.
In this case:
cos(-120)*3 = a
a = -3/2

sin(-120)*3 = b
b = -3((3)^1/2)/2

This works since ((a)^2 + (b)^2)^1/2 does give me 3 in this case

(c)Modulus 7, Argument is -4, which gives me an angle of (-229.183'). So I can do the same again.

cos(-229.183)*7 = a
a = -6.918

sin(-229.183)*7 = b
b = -1.067

This once again seems to work, so my answerwould be something like -6.918 + -1.067i

I was wanting to check if this is all correct or if I've done the question completely wrong.

Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) arg(1 + 0i) = 0, not pi, so 1 + 0i is not correct.

For b) your answer looks correct. An arg of -pi/3 puts the complex number in the 3rd quadrant, so both the Re part and the I am part will have negative values.

For c) your Re value is close (to get closer, use more decimal place precision in your conversion from radians to degrees) but the I am value has the wrong sign. An arg of -4 puts the complex number in the 2nd quadrant. -pi > -4 > -3pi/2, where '>' signifies "is less negative than"

!

Your method is correct. The (x+iy) form for the complex numbers in this case would be:

(a) 1+0i
(b) -3/2 - (3√3)/2 i
(c) -6.918 - 1.067i

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1).

2. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is any number that can be represented on a number line, including both positive and negative integers, fractions, and decimals. A complex number, on the other hand, includes an imaginary part and cannot be represented on a number line.

3. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3+5) + (2i+4i) = 8 + 6i. To subtract, you would follow the same process but with subtraction instead of addition.

4. Can complex numbers be multiplied or divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) and combine like terms. To divide complex numbers, you use the complex conjugate method, where you multiply both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They can be used to represent and analyze alternating currents, solve differential equations, and even describe the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. They are also used in computer graphics and signal processing.