Simple complex number question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of a vertex, z3, in a rhombus given three other vertices and using the sum of two complex numbers to find it. The concept is explained using an Argand diagram and a simpler case of a square. It is also mentioned that this method can be used with vectors.
synkk
[tex]z_1z_2 = -1 + 2i [/tex]
[tex] \frac{z_1}{z_2} = \frac{11}{5} + \frac{2}{5}i [/tex]

Given that the origin, z1z2, z1/z2 and z3 are vertices of a rhombus, find z3.

I've drawn a sketch on a Argand diagram and the sketch is fine, but to find z3, they have done z1z2 + z1/z2 , but would this not give you a diagonal which joins z1z2 and z1/z2 instead of z3? How would it give you z3, if anyone could explain

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it wouldn't give you the diagonal joining ##z_1z_2## and ##z_1/z_2##.

Consider a simpler case where the vertices are at (0, 0), (1, 0), and (0, i). Where would the other corner of the square lie and how are its coordinates related to (1, 0) and (0, i)?

vela said:
No, it wouldn't give you the diagonal joining ##z_1z_2## and ##z_1/z_2##.

Consider a simpler case where the vertices are at (0, 0), (1, 0), and (0, i). Where would the other corner of the square lie and how are its coordinates related to (1, 0) and (0, i)?

I see.

Does this only work on Argand diagrams and quadrilaterals?

I would think of the two given points as vectors. If z1z2 is one side, and z1/z2 is another, then their sum gives the position vector of the opposite corner.

What are complex numbers and how are they different from real numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real component and an imaginary component. The imaginary component is represented by the letter "i", which stands for the square root of -1. Real numbers, on the other hand, are numbers that can be represented on a number line and do not have an imaginary component.

What is the standard form of a complex number?

The standard form of a complex number is a + bi, where "a" is the real component, "b" is the imaginary component, and "i" represents the square root of -1.

How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real components and the imaginary components separately. For example, (2 + 3i) + (4 + 2i) = (2 + 4) + (3 + 2)i = 6 + 5i.

How do you multiply complex numbers?

Multiplying complex numbers follows the same rules as multiplying binomials. You multiply each term in the first complex number by each term in the second complex number and then combine like terms. For example, (2 + 3i) * (4 + 2i) = 2*4 + 2*2i + 3i*4 + 3i*2i = 8 + 4i + 12i + 6i^2 = (8 - 6) + (4 + 12)i = 2 + 16i.

How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, you need to multiply both the numerator and the denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. The complex conjugate of a + bi is a - bi. For example, (2 + 3i) / (4 + 2i) = ((2 + 3i) * (4 - 2i)) / ((4 + 2i) * (4 - 2i)) = (8 + 4i - 6i - 6i^2) / (16 - 8i + 8i - 4i^2) = (8 - 2) + (4 - 12)i = 6 - 8i.