Simple concentration problem but something's wrong

In summary, the original poster's professor asked for the concentration of phosphoric acid, not phosphate ions. The original poster's answer was incorrect because the concentration of phosphate ions in water is much lower than the concentration of phosphoric acid.
delsaber8
Ok so I think I have a suitable answer to my question but because of certain circumstances I have reason to believe my answer is wrong.

The question is: calculate the amount of phosphoric acid in mgH3PO4/L in a solution of concentration 2.92X10^-5 mol/L.

seems pretty straight forward but perhaps I've overlooked something (in which case I will be quite embarrassed)

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what answer do you have? How do you know it's wrong?

sjb-2812 said:
Well, what answer do you have? How do you know it's wrong?
I have an answer of 2.8616 mg/L, the reason I fear my answer is wrong is because my prof gave an answer which was several orders of magnitude different.

What units did he want the answer in? Maybe he wanted micrograms per L.

This is exactly as typed in the question:
Show the calculations for determining the phosphate ion concentration in the
original Coke and converting the moles of phosphate / litre of Coke into grams of
H3PO4/355 mL can and mg of H3PO4/1 L. Now you may notice there are more questions than those that I have asked but if I figured out the problem for the mg H3PO4/L I could figure out the rest. the answers he gave ranged between 500-1000 mgH3PO4/L

I am very confused as to why this isn't working any help would be appreciated as the deadline for this approaches and I'm a little frazzled.

Doesn't phosphoric acid dissociate in water into several different anions, only one of which is phosphate?

Chet

yes I believe it become 3H++PO42- -> H3PO4 but since the ratio is the same between the phosphate and the phosphoric acid they should have the same concentration. PLEASE do correct me if I am mistaken,
Thanks!

You are mistaken. See the following for phosphoric acid dissociation in aqueous solution: http://chem.wisc.edu/deptfiles/genchem/sstutorial/Text12/Tx125/tx125.html
There may also be hydrogen ions in the Coke from the dissolved carbon dioxide that needs to be taken into account.
Chet

delsaber8 said:
calculate the amount of phosphoric acid in mgH3PO4/L in a solution of concentration 2.92X10^-5 mol/L.

delsaber8 said:
I have an answer of 2.8616 mg/L

2.86 ppm is a correct answer (assuming we ignore the dissociation).

delsaber8 said:
the answers he gave ranged between 500-1000 mgH3PO4/L

Doesn't make sense, that's a 0.01 M solution, not 10-5 M. Something is off, and I don't think it is related to equilibrium. Have you learned equilibrium calculations?

If you were to correct your answer for dissociation, the final result would be much lower (something like 10-16 M), so even more distant from the 500-1000 mg/L.

Borek said:
2.86 ppm is a correct answer (assuming we ignore the dissociation).
Doesn't make sense, that's a 0.01 M solution, not 10-5 M. Something is off, and I don't think it is related to equilibrium. Have you learned equilibrium calculations?

If you were to correct your answer for dissociation, the final result would be much lower (something like 10-16 M), so even more distant from the 500-1000 mg/L.
Hi Borek. I'm guessing that the concentration he gave in his original post was the concentration of phosphate ions, not phosphoric acid. I think from this, he is supposed to determine the concentration of phosphoric acid. Just a guess.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I'm guessing that the concentration he gave in his original post was the concentration of phosphate ions, not phosphoric acid. I think from this, he is supposed to determine the concentration of phosphoric acid. Just a guess.

Interesting idea! But impossible. I just did some quick calculations and in phosphoric acid solutions concentration of PO43- never gets higher than about 6.5×10-14 M - for concentrated solutions pH is low, and the PO43- fraction is very low, for more diluted solutions fraction goes up, but as the whole concentration goes down concentration of PO43- goes down as well. Please remember pH of acid solution never gets higher than 7, so even in highly diluted solutions weak acids are never fully dissociated. In phosphoric acid at pH 7 PO43- fraction is 1.7×10-6.

Borek said:
Interesting idea! But impossible. I just did some quick calculations and in phosphoric acid solutions concentration of PO43- never gets higher than about 6.5×10-14 M - for concentrated solutions pH is low, and the PO43- fraction is very low, for more diluted solutions fraction goes up, but as the whole concentration goes down concentration of PO43- goes down as well. Please remember pH of acid solution never gets higher than 7, so even in highly diluted solutions weak acids are never fully dissociated. In phosphoric acid at pH 7 PO43- fraction is 1.7×10-6.
Thanks for setting that straight. You are soooo knowledgeable. Very impressive.

Chet

ok I feel really dumb about this, I realized that the concentration I was using was of coke that was heavily diluted, after going through some ratios I got a much more reasonable answer of 671mg/L

Happens. Think about skills that you got while analyzing the problem. You definitely know more now.

I have learned so much from my mistakes I am thinking about making some new ones.

Related to Simple concentration problem but something's wrong

What is a simple concentration problem?

A simple concentration problem involves finding the concentration of a solution by measuring the amount of solute in a given volume of solvent.

What could be wrong with a simple concentration problem?

There could be a variety of things that could go wrong with a simple concentration problem, such as incorrect measurements, contamination of the solution, or human error.

How do I know if there is something wrong with my concentration problem?

If your calculated concentration does not match the expected value or if you encounter unexpected results during the experiment, there may be something wrong with your concentration problem.

What steps can I take to ensure the accuracy of my concentration problem?

To ensure the accuracy of your concentration problem, it is important to use precise and calibrated equipment, carefully measure all components of the solution, and perform multiple trials to account for any errors.

What should I do if I encounter unexpected results in my concentration problem?

If you encounter unexpected results, you should carefully review your experimental procedure, check for any potential sources of error, and repeat the experiment to confirm the accuracy of your results.