Simple Conceptual Question Regarding Pascal's Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual question about the validity of a statement regarding Pascal's principle. The statement states that increasing the pressure at one end of an oil-filled tube by 10 N will also increase the force at all points in the tube by 10 N. The conversation raises doubts about the accuracy of this statement and questions whether it aligns with the principles of Pascal's principle.
zak.hja

Homework Statement

There's a conceptual question I've encountered in my reading, wherein we're supposed to determine the validity of a statement: "According to Pascal’s principle, if you increase the pressure enough so that the force at one end of an oil-filled tube increases by 10 N, the force will increase at all points in the tube by 10 N". The thing that's really bothering me is that this statement is supposedly true.

Homework Equations

P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Pascal's principle pertains to the applied pressure at any point within an enclosed fluid; the applied pressure is transmitted undiminished, throughout. It isn't necessarily true to say the force is the same, is it? As such, I find the statement to be highly problematic.
Or, does the fact that it's an oil-filled "tube" imply that the area is uniform throughout. Even then, is it correct to say the force increases at all points by 10N?

Many thanks! :oldsmile:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume, instead, that this statement is not true, does that resolve your doubts? That is, does assuming the statement not to be true line up with what you understand to be Pascal's Principle? Is pressure the same as force?

What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that when there is an increase in pressure at any point in a confined fluid, there is an equal increase at every other point in the container.

How does Pascal's Principle apply to everyday life?

Pascal's Principle can be seen in many everyday situations, such as hydraulic systems, car brakes, and even the functioning of our own bodies. It allows for the amplification of force by transmitting pressure through a fluid, making it an essential concept in engineering and mechanics.

What is an example of Pascal's Principle in action?

An example of Pascal's Principle in action is the use of a hydraulic lift. When a small force is applied to a small piston, the pressure is transmitted equally throughout the fluid and results in a larger force being exerted by a larger piston, allowing for heavy objects to be lifted with ease.

How does Pascal's Principle relate to the laws of motion?

Pascal's Principle is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the third law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of Pascal's Principle, the action of applying pressure to a fluid results in an equal and opposite reaction, exerting force in all directions.

What are some real-world applications of Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as hydraulic brakes in cars, hydraulic pumps in construction equipment, and hydraulic presses in manufacturing. It is also utilized in medical devices, such as blood pressure cuffs, and in scuba diving equipment to regulate air pressure in diving tanks.