Pascal's Principle Homework: Pressure Variation w/ Height & Diameter

In summary: No, because the pressure at any given depth is determined by the weight of the column of water above it, not the diameter of the vessel. This is the same principle at work in the small and large tube scenario. In summary, according to Pascal's principle, the pressure at the bottom of the larger tube will increase by rho g a as the height of the smaller tube is varied. The diameter of the smaller tube does not affect the pressure.
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

A small tube is connected to the top of a larger one and the whole thing is filled with water. The small tube has height a and the larger tube has height b.

What happens to the pressure at the bottom of the larger tube as (1) a is varied, and (2) a is held constant but the diameter of the upper tube is increased?

Homework Equations

[tex]
p_\text{gauge} = \rho g h
[/tex]
Pascal's principle.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) According to Pascal's principle, the larger tube will see a pressure increase of rho g a. This will increase the downward force at the bottom of the larger barrel, and that will be rho g a.

(2) I don't think the diameter matters, but intuitively I can't see why! If b is the diameter of a straw (a few millimeters), the smaller tube will increase the pressure on the larger one just as much as a big tube on top. It is only height that seems to matter, then, and if I took a really tall straw and put it over a large vat of water, I would see a huge increase in force at the bottom of the vat. Confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
bigplanet401 said:
and that will be rho g a.

bigplanet401 said:
only height that seems to matter

bigplanet401 said:
really tall straw and put it over a large vat of water, I would see a huge increase in force at the bottom of the vat. Confused...
... and, your question is --- what?

Likes DEvens
Is height really the only thing that matters here? Intuitively, this just doesn't make sense to me. How can a small straw of liquid (say 10 cm high) exert the same pressure at the surface of the barrel as, say, a huge vat that is just as high?

Dive 2 m down to the bottom of a swimming pool. Dive the same distance below the surface of the ocean: do you feel more pressure?

MrAnchovy said:
Dive 2 m down to the bottom of a swimming pool. Dive the same distance below the surface of the ocean: do you feel more pressure?
Well you do of course because ocean water is denser due to dissolved salts, but do you feel thousands of times more pressure?

What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that a change in pressure at any point in an enclosed fluid at rest is transmitted undiminished to all points in the fluid.

What is the relationship between pressure and height in a fluid?

According to Pascal's Principle, pressure in a fluid is directly proportional to its height. This means that as the height of a fluid increases, the pressure at the bottom of the fluid also increases.

How does pressure vary with diameter in a fluid?

The pressure in a fluid is inversely proportional to its diameter. This means that as the diameter of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This is because the same amount of fluid is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

What is the formula for calculating pressure in a fluid at a certain height and diameter?

The formula for pressure in a fluid is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid.

How does the shape of a container affect pressure variation with height and diameter?

The shape of a container does not affect the pressure variation with height and diameter, as long as the container is sealed and the fluid is at rest. This is because Pascal's Principle applies to all enclosed fluids, regardless of the shape of the container.