Understanding Electric Motor Rotation & Magnetic Field Vibrations

In summary, the current flows from the South to the North in your drawing and the direction of the force on the wire is the opposite of the way it should be based on the right hand rule.
alicia113
ok, so i have drawn a diagram for 43 and i would like to know if i have done it correctly.. i believe the rotation should go the other way. Also can someone help me with the paragraph to wrtie about it

and for the other question, does it have something to do with the magnetic field causing the wires to vibrate and give off a faint buzzing noise. If so could someone please help me explain it better, thanks.

531204_10151940436615526_1155109508_n.jpg

295333_10151940436850526_1584268255_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
and from what i know the current flows from S to N so my rotation i believe is wrong and that is how the motor goes in the direction

alicia113 said:
and from what i know the current flows from S to N so my rotation i believe is wrong and that is how the motor goes in the direction

I think you might be getting current and the magnetic field confused.

1. Do you know (by convention) which direction your magnetic field points in your drawing?
(left to right or right to left?)

2. Do you know which way the current is flowing (conventional) in your drawing of... let's use the part of the wire on the left hand side of your drawing, the straight part closest to the North Pole of your magnet?

3. Do you know the right hand rule that allows you to find the direction of the Force on the part of the wire mentioned in #2?

yes i know the right hand rule........ and i do not understand number 1 and 2 :(

is my current flow wrong than ??

so becasue it flows from south to north and when using the right hand rule.. my direction of it rotating should be the opposite way?

Current flows from + to -

The permanent magnets you have drawn produce a magnetic field between them yes?

Which way does the field point? N to S or S to N...? What is the convention, in other words, what do we all agree on about the direction of the magnetic field based on your drawing and the poles (N and S)?

s to N?

alicia113 said:
s to N?

Out of North into South. Thats the rule we have all agreed upon. N to S.

So in the part of the wire that is closest to the North pole that you have drawn going into the page, which way is the force on that piece of wire? You now need to use the right hand rule.

You know the direction of the magnetic field, you know the direction of the current in that piece of wire, so which way is the force on the wire at that particular orientation?

pgardn said:
Out of North into South. Thats the rule we have all agreed upon. N to S.

So in the part of the wire that is closest to the North pole that you have drawn going into the page, which way is the force on that piece of wire? You now need to use the right hand rule.

You know the direction of the magnetic field, you know the direction of the current in that piece of wire, so which way is the force on the wire at that particular orientation?

I don't know how I find that. All my book gives me is the right hand rule and talkes about the parts of a motor.

But okay so my current flow goes from north to south. so my diagram is rotating the correct way. as the amateur spins the direction of the current in the loop of wire keeps reversing as the coul reaches a position where the force is no longer produced as a rotation.

And by using the right-hand rule, it shows the direction of the Motor spinning. Because as you fold over your hand your right hand the direction goes from north to south so that is the way it rotates

alicia113 said:
I don't know how I find that. All my book gives me is the right hand rule and talkes about the parts of a motor.

But okay so my current flow goes from north to south. so my diagram is rotating the correct way. as the amateur spins the direction of the current in the loop of wire keeps reversing as the coul reaches a position where the force is no longer produced as a rotation.

Current is used to describe the flow of electricity, not magnetic fields.

The magnetic field points from Left to right in your drawing, now which way does the electric current flow in the piece of wire that you have drawn next to the North pole of the magnet?

Alicia you probably need to find a better book and talk to your teacher.

You seem a bit weak on this stuff.

I am going to leave you with this applet that shows the physical process. I got to go to work.

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/electricmotor.htm

1. What is a simple electric motor?

A simple electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a coil of wire, called an armature, that is placed between two magnets. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnets, causing the armature to rotate and create motion.

2. How does a simple electric motor work?

A simple electric motor works on the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current is passed through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. In a motor, this wire is wound into a coil and placed between two permanent magnets. The interaction between the magnetic fields of the coil and magnets causes the coil to rotate, creating motion.

3. What materials are needed to make a simple electric motor?

The materials needed to make a simple electric motor include a battery or power source, a coil of wire, two magnets, and a base to hold the magnets and coil in place. Additional materials such as copper wire, paper clips, and a paper cup can also be used for a DIY motor.

4. What are the applications of a simple electric motor?

Simple electric motors have a wide range of applications, including powering household appliances such as fans, blenders, and washing machines. They are also used in small toys, power tools, and industrial machinery. Electric vehicles also use electric motors for propulsion.

5. What are the advantages of a simple electric motor?

Some advantages of a simple electric motor include its efficiency, reliability, and low maintenance. It also produces less noise and vibration compared to other types of motors. Electric motors are also more environmentally friendly as they do not emit any pollutants. Additionally, they can be easily controlled and adjusted for different speeds and directions of rotation.