1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple finding linear acceleration

1. Jun 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In our lab, we times a cart going 1m. The time was 9.49 s. The cart was pulled by a string, over a pulley, attached to a free-falling mass. The purpose was to calculate the μ, the coefficient of friction.

2. Relevant equations

d = vit + 1/2at[itex]^{2}[/itex]

a = (vf-vi)/t

vi = 0 m/s
    d = 1.0 m
    t = 9.49 s

3. The attempt at a solution

Why does the acceleration come out differently in these two equations?

Is it that the vf is not simply 1m/9.49 seconds?
    Is vf = 1/9.49 = 0.11 ?

Because that is the average velocity, and we don't use average velocity because we have a constant acceleration?

In the first equation I get a = 0.02m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    and in the second equation I get a = 0.01 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]

I think I know why, but I would like someone to say,"yes that is why you must use the first equation."

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

[itex]V_{f}=9.8t[/itex]

It's invalid to say [itex]V_{f}=\frac{d}{t}[/itex] because, as you said, that is the average velocity (which is less than the final velocity)

Since initial velocity is zero, the expression [itex]\frac{d}{t}[/itex] will only give you half the final velocity. That is why your two accelerations were different by a factor of 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted