Simple: Finding the wavelenght

• Thread starter StotleD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelenght
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the wavelength of a wave shown in a picture. The person is given the information that each increment on the equilibrium line is 420 cm and there are 7 increments between the first and second wave. However, when they multiply 7 by 4.2 meters, they still get an incorrect answer. They are asked to clarify what is meant by "each increment on the equilibrium line" and "increments". It is explained that the wavelength is the distance between one peak or trough to the next. The person is still struggling to find the correct answer and is unsure if they are missing a step.
StotleD
I have a picture of a wave I am looking at. Each increment on the equilibrium line is 420 cm. I am asked to find the wavelength. there are 7 increments between one location of the first wave and the second wave. I multiply 7 times 4.2 meters and the answer is still wrong. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "each increment on the equilibrium line"?. I don't really understand your description. Do you have a graph of a wave or something? The wavelength is just the distance from one peak to the next, or one trough to the next. Edit: it doesn't necessarily have to be peak to peak, for example, but it's just easier to see it if you take it as that.

Last edited:
Thank you Nylex, but that was the first thing I did. I am still getting a "incorrect answer". Yes, I am looking at a picture of a wave. I though I was dong something wrong so I multiplied the number of increments times the given lenght. Am I wrong or am I missing a step?

What do you mean by "increments"? :confused:

1. What is the purpose of finding the wavelength?

The purpose of finding the wavelength is to understand the properties and behavior of waves. Wavelength is an important characteristic of a wave and can provide information about its frequency, speed, and energy.

2. How do you measure the wavelength of a wave?

The wavelength of a wave can be measured by finding the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase, such as two crests or two troughs. This distance is equivalent to one wavelength.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

There is an inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

4. How is wavelength related to the color of light?

The wavelength of a light wave determines its color. The visible light spectrum ranges from approximately 400-700 nanometers, with shorter wavelengths appearing as blue or violet light and longer wavelengths appearing as red light.

5. Why is finding the wavelength important in various fields of science?

Finding the wavelength is important in various fields of science because it allows us to understand and analyze different types of waves, such as light, sound, and electromagnetic waves. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as astronomy, optics, and communication technology.