Calculating Duck's Displacement in 2.52s with F=ma and Kinematics Equations

• Thread starter scorks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discussed the displacement of a duck, with a mass of 2.35 kg, that is acted upon by a force of 0.144 N due east while paddling. The current of the water also exerts a force of 0.202 N in a direction of 54.5° south of east. Using the equations F=ma and d=(Vi)t+1/2(a)(t^2), the experts concluded that the displacement of the duck after 2.52 s is approximately 0.6803 m east and 0.2 m south, with an angle of less than 20 degrees south of east, or more than 340 degrees counterclockwise from east.
scorks
1.) A duck has a mass of 2.35 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.144 N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.202 N in a direction of 54.5° south of east. When these forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is 0.130 m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 2.52 s while the forces are acting.

2.) F=ma
Kinematics equations

3.) So, I worked out that the x-component of F2 is 0.117N and added that to 0.144N. I then plugged the answer (0.261N) into the F=ma formula and got a=0.11m/s^2. I then used the equation d=(Vi)t+1/2(a)(t^2) and got d=0.677m.
Then, I used the x-component of 0.261N and the Y-component of F2(the only y-component) and solved for the angle getting 31.5deg. I subtracted this from 360 to get the answer of 328.5deg relative to due east. My answers came out to be incorrect.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the east direction, I agree with your force of .261 N and a = 0.111.
I used V = Vi + at to get the final velocity of .4099 and then used
d = Vavg *t = (.13+.4099)/2*2.52 = .6803 m East.
Very close to your .677 but could that be what is getting you the wrong answer?

Delphi51 said:
For the east direction, I agree with your force of .261 N and a = 0.111.
I used V = Vi + at to get the final velocity of .4099 and then used
d = Vavg *t = (.13+.4099)/2*2.52 = .6803 m East.
Very close to your .677 but could that be what is getting you the wrong answer?

Um, I think that it may be the direction that's getting me the wrong answer. What did you get for that?

Finished it now. We are way different on the angle. For the south distance I got about 0.2 m and an angle of less than 20 degrees south of east, which would be more than 340 degrees counterclockwise from east.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach. Let's break down the problem and go through the steps to find the displacement of the duck in 2.52 seconds using the given information and equations.

1. Identify the given information: The mass of the duck (m = 2.35 kg), the forces acting on the duck (F1 = 0.144 N, F2 = 0.202 N), the initial velocity of the duck (Vi = 0.130 m/s), and the time (t = 2.52 s).

2. Determine the acceleration: Using the formula F=ma, we can find the acceleration (a) of the duck. We know that F1 and F2 are acting on the duck in the x-direction, so we can add them together to get the total force in the x-direction (Fx = F1 + F2). Then, we can plug in the values into the formula Fx = ma and solve for a. In this case, a = 0.117 m/s^2.

3. Calculate the displacement in the x-direction: Using the kinematics equation d = Vit + 1/2at^2, we can find the displacement (dx) in the x-direction. We know that the initial velocity (Vi) is 0.130 m/s and the acceleration (a) is 0.117 m/s^2. Plugging in these values along with the time (t = 2.52 s), we get dx = 0.677 m.

4. Calculate the displacement in the y-direction: We can use the same equation (d = Vit + 1/2at^2) to find the displacement in the y-direction (dy). However, we need to consider the forces acting on the duck in the y-direction. Since F1 is in the x-direction, it does not contribute to the displacement in the y-direction. However, F2 has a y-component (Fy = F2sinθ) which is acting in the negative direction (since it is south of east). So, we can subtract this from the initial velocity in the y-direction (Vi = 0) to get the final velocity in the y-direction (Vfy = -Fy = -0.202sin54.5° = -0.157 m/s). Plugging in these values, we get dy = (-

What is a simple force?

A simple force is a type of force that acts on an object without changing its shape or direction, and is usually represented by a single arrow in a force diagram. Examples of simple forces include gravity, friction, and tension.

What is the difference between a simple force and a complex force?

A simple force acts on an object in a single direction, while a complex force is a combination of multiple simple forces acting on an object from different directions. Simple forces are easier to analyze and understand, while complex forces require more advanced mathematical calculations.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a simple force?

The magnitude of a simple force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons (N), m is the mass of the object in kilograms (kg), and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

What are some real-life examples of simple forces?

Simple forces are present in many everyday situations. For example, gravity is a simple force that keeps us grounded and pulls objects towards the Earth. Friction is a simple force that helps us walk and drive, while tension is a simple force that allows us to use tools and machinery.

How do simple forces affect motion?

Simple forces play a crucial role in the motion of objects. They can cause objects to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. For example, the force of gravity causes objects to fall towards the Earth, while the force of friction can slow down moving objects. Without simple forces, motion would not be possible.