Why is Gravity Considered Positive in Applications of Newton's Laws?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity being positive or negative in different scenarios, particularly in relation to Newton's laws and the equation F=N-mg. It is explained that the sign of g in the equation depends on the conventions and the direction indicated in the scenario. The conversation concludes that as long as the direction is clear, g can be taken as positive or negative in the equations.
rambo5330

Homework Statement

I was asked a very simple question today about finding the tension in a cable as a 1200kg elevator is accelerating downward at -1.05 m/s^2 . now I could answer the question easily
ma = T - mg
solve for T but what I couldn't answer was just the basic question when the peer asked mee why isn't gravity negative in this case. and that got me thinking why isn't gravity negative in the applications of Newtons laws?

If I have a 60 kg object sitting stationary on the ground it will have a normal force of N = mg obviously the object isn't accelerating in any direction but why are able to consider the acelleration of gravity as being positive in these scenarios? It's probably been explained several times on here but after searching I have found nothing that explains it in any detail.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
the negative/positive g depends on your conventions.

If I say I accelerate at g downwards, then g is obviously "positive" in that scenario because I already indicated the direction as downwards.

In N=mg N is a force that points up, while mg is a force that points down. As long as we are aware of the scenario played out, and we get all the directions in check, we can just take g to be positive in that case.

The original equation was F=N-mg=0 which leads to N=mg. In that equation, because we put a minus sign in front of the mg, we are assuming g is positive. If we wanted a negative g, the equation should be F=N+mg=0 which leads to N=-mg.

This is the same with your original example. F=T-mg already takes care of the negative in that minus sign. We could also say F=T+mg=0 if we designate g as being negative.

thanks for the fast reply. That helps clear it up !

FAQ: Why is Gravity Considered Positive in Applications of Newton's Laws?

1. What is simple gravity?

Simple gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger an object's mass, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, such as rocks.

3. Why do objects fall towards Earth?

Objects fall towards Earth because of the force of gravity. The Earth has a large mass, which creates a strong gravitational pull that attracts objects towards its center. This is why objects on Earth, such as apples falling from trees, are pulled towards the ground.

4. Does gravity exist in space?

Yes, gravity still exists in space. The force of gravity decreases with distance, but it never completely disappears. This is why objects in orbit around Earth, such as satellites, are still affected by gravity and are able to stay in orbit.

5. Can gravity be explained by Einstein's theory of relativity?

Yes, Einstein's theory of relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This theory helps to explain the more complex aspects of gravity, such as how it affects the movement of objects in space.

Back