1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic motion and collisions

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    A block of mass 2kg oscillates on the end of a spring in SHM with a period of 20ms. The position of the block is given by: x=(1.0cm)cos(wt+2pi). Another block of mass 4kg slides toward the oscillating block with velocity of 6m/s. The two blocks undergo a completely inelatic collision at time t=5.0ms.

a)what is the amplitude of oscllaltion after collision?
    I know momentum is conserved in the collision and time t=.005 secons, the velocity of the oscillating block is O. So I got V(final)=4m/s.
    But I am not sure how to account for this with the spring force to get the final amplitude.

b) What is the frequency of the resulting SHM?
    without A, I dont think I can do this part, so I havent tried yet...
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Are you sure it's cos(wt+2pi)? Might as well make it cos(wt).

If the position is given by:
    x=(1.0cm)cos(wt+2pi) then, t=5.0ms corresponds to an angle of pi/2. The velocity equation is:
    v=-w(1.0cm)sin(wt+2pi). v does not equal 0 at t=5.0ms.

I'd do part b first to get the new w... then use the fact that the magnitude of the maximum velocity = wA. Since you have the maximum velocity (you get it from the conservation of momentum etc...) you can get A (amplitude).

You can calculate k, then solve for the new w using a mass of 6kg
  4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

I meant (1/2)pi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?