Simple Harmonic Motion and equilibrium problem

In summary, a partridge of mass 4.94 kg suspended from a pear tree by an ideal spring with a k value of 11.21 and a velocity of 0.151 m/s at the equilibrium point, and an acceleration of -0.114 m/s^2 when the mass is 0.050 m above the equilibrium point. To find the time required for the partridge to move from 0.050 m below the equilibrium point to 0.050 m above it, the wave equation for the position of the simple harmonic motion can be used with the period of 4.17 s to solve for time. The equation for the graph is X= Acos(\omega t + \phi), with phi
robbondo

Homework Statement

A partridge of mass 4.94 kg is suspended from a pear tree by an ideal spring of negligible mass. When the partridge is pulled down 0.100 m below its equilibrium position and released, it vibrates with a period of 4.17 s. When it is moving upward, how much time is required for it to move from a point 0.050 m below its equilibrium position to a point 0.050 m above it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I've already solved for the k of the spring to be 11.21, and that the velocity at the equivalence point is .151m/s and the acceleration when the mass is .05m above the equilibrium point is-.114 m/s^2. I'm assuming that I'll need to do some type of integral from -.5 to .5, but I have no idea which equation to use, or how to approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to integrate. Set up a wave equation for the position of the simple harmonic motion. You can solve this for the time at each position you're interested in.

What is the equation for that graph?

is it [tex]X= Acos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

So, if this is right and I solve for x=.05, A=.1, [tex] \omega=\sqrt{k/m}=\sqrt{11.21/4.94} [/tex] and [tex]\phi=\pi[/tex]

When I solve this equation for t, i get a negative number. So obviously I've done something very wrong. Should I solve for the arclength between the two points? If so, then I'd have to take the derivative, is the equation I have correct to do that?

Last edited:
Your equation isn't quite right.

If the mass is pulled down (so negative) to 0.1m and released, what does that tell you about the starting point of your curve? Think of the graph of a cosine function. You must make it suit your conditions. I don't think you will have any phase angle if you use a cosine function (so phi=0).

You do not have to take derivatives or anything like that.

Note: you were given the period of the motion (4.17s), you can use that to get w as well.

cool. I think that I was just messing up with that whole phase angle thing. I was thinking that since it started at negative a that it the phase angle was pi. Which still kinda makes sense to me, but it worked ok without the phase angle, so I guess you were right. Thanks for all your help.

If you had used a sine function, then you would have had to worry about a phase angle (try it!).

Glad it worked out!

phi=pi should have worked, by the way (depending on how you set it up). I think I misunderstood what you were saying when you were talking about it. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you.

Last edited:

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern and can be described by a mathematical equation. Other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, do not have the restoring force and periodic nature of simple harmonic motion.

3. What is an equilibrium point in simple harmonic motion?

An equilibrium point in simple harmonic motion is the position at which the net force acting on the object is zero. This is the point where the object is at rest and will remain at rest unless an external force is applied to it.

4. How is equilibrium achieved in a simple harmonic motion system?

Equilibrium is achieved in a simple harmonic motion system when the restoring force and the applied force are balanced, resulting in the object remaining at its equilibrium point. This can be achieved through adjusting the amplitude, frequency, or mass of the object in motion.

5. What factors affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the system, and the amplitude of the motion. These factors can be manipulated to change the period of the motion, which is the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of oscillation.