1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion Differential Equation

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves in one dimension under the action of a force given by -kx where x is the displacement of the body at time t, and k is a positive constant. Using F=ma write down a differential equation for x, and verify that its solution is x=Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex]), where [tex]\omega[/tex]2=k/m (omega squared, that is). If the body starts from rest at the point x=A at time t=0, find an expression for x at later times.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the differential equation they're looking for is,
    a=-kx/m

As a=d2x/dt2

But from here I can't see where to go; integration of course leads to the wrong formula.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the differential equation so just substitute the solution in and show that both sides are equal.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    So differentiate the solution given to us to get it in terms of acceleration and then just compare that with the a=-kx/m?

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thats correct.

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    I'm sorry I'm still sightly confused; I now have:

[tex]a=-A\omega^{2}cos(\omega t+\phi)=\frac{-kx}{m}[/tex]

Which implies that [tex]x=Acos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex] but doesn't really show why? Is this what you intended or am I missing something?

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're also told what omega is in the question, and you haven't substituted for x on the right hand side.

8. Oct 1, 2008 #7
    Oh of course it is! We're told what x is!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?