Simple Harmonic Motion Differential Equation

In summary, a particle of mass m moves in one dimension under the action of a force given by -kx where x is the displacement of the body at time t, and k is a positive constant. By using F=ma, a differential equation for x can be derived, which is a=-kx/m. The solution for this equation is x=Acos(\omegat+\phi), where \omega2=k/m (omega squared). Starting from rest at the point x=A at time t=0, an expression for x at later times can be found. To verify the solution, the given solution can be substituted into the differential equation, which shows that both sides are equal. This can be shown by differentiating the solution
Matuku

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves in one dimension under the action of a force given by -kx where x is the displacement of the body at time t, and k is a positive constant. Using F=ma write down a differential equation for x, and verify that its solution is x=Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex]), where [tex]\omega[/tex]2=k/m (omega squared, that is). If the body starts from rest at the point x=A at time t=0, find an expression for x at later times.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the differential equation they're looking for is,
a=-kx/m

As a=d2x/dt2

But from here I can't see where to go; integration of course leads to the wrong formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the differential equation so just substitute the solution in and show that both sides are equal.

Kurdt said:
You have the differential equation so just substitute the solution in and show that both sides are equal.

So differentiate the solution given to us to get it in terms of acceleration and then just compare that with the a=-kx/m?

Thats correct.

I'm sorry I'm still sightly confused; I now have:

[tex]a=-A\omega^{2}cos(\omega t+\phi)=\frac{-kx}{m}[/tex]

Which implies that [tex]x=Acos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex] but doesn't really show why? Is this what you intended or am I missing something?

You're also told what omega is in the question, and you haven't substituted for x on the right hand side.

Oh of course it is! We're told what x is!

1. What is the definition of Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and is always directed towards the equilibrium point. Examples of SHM include a mass on a spring, a pendulum, and a vibrating guitar string.

2. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How do you derive the differential equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The differential equation for Simple Harmonic Motion can be derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force F acting on an object is equal to the mass m of the object multiplied by its acceleration a. In SHM, the force F is the restoring force F = -kx, where k is the spring constant. Therefore, we get the differential equation m(d^2x/dt^2) + kx = 0.

4. How do you solve the Simple Harmonic Motion differential equation?

The solution to the SHM differential equation is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. The values of ω and φ can be determined using initial conditions, such as the initial displacement and velocity of the object.

5. What are the applications of Simple Harmonic Motion in real life?

Simple Harmonic Motion has many practical applications, including the motion of a pendulum in a clock, the motion of a mass on a spring in a car's suspension system, and the motion of molecules in a solid. It is also used in the design of musical instruments, such as guitars and violins, and in engineering systems, such as shock absorbers and vibration isolators.