Simple Harmonic motion : Is energy conserved

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of energy conservation in Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) and the methods used to find the maximum speed of a particle oscillating between two yellow plates. It is determined that the second method is incorrect due to not accounting for the potential energy from a spring or other force. The correct answer, found through the first method, is 9π meters per second. The conversation also mentions that the particle in question is a needle being moved by an automated sewing machine, but this information is not relevant to finding the maximum speed or understanding the problem.
hms.tech

Homework Statement

I doubt energy is conserved in SHM, or it might be possible that i be doing something wrong.
The particle (red dot) in the attachment is at its equilibrium position and oscillates with Simple Harmonic Motion between the two yellow colored plates.

Amplitude A = 1.5 m
Frequency = 3 Hz
Find the maximum speed of the particle

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy
V = ω [itex]\sqrt{A^{2}-x^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This max speed occurs at its equilibrium position .

1st method (which leads to the correct answer) :
V = 9∏ meters per second

2nd method (explain why this is wrong when it makes perfect sense)
Total energy at highest plate (yellow) = total energy at equilibrium position
mg(1.5) = 0.5m[itex]v^{2}[/itex]
v = [itex]\sqrt{30}[/itex]

What is wrong with energy conservation method ?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    385 bytes · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without seeing the picture it is hard to say where you went wrong.

However, I should say that the second method seems inconsistent with either of the two typical SHM models. If the model is a pendulum, then the max height is not the amplitude. If the model is a spring with a mass, then I do not see any account of its stiffness.

Yeah, what voko said. If this is a thing oscillating up and down on a spring, you're not accounting for the elastic potential energy due to that. If only gravity is acting, then the thing cannot be undergoing SHM.

I thought i had uploaded it, sorry for that. Anyways, it is under gravity and it is going SHM. (why wouldn't it)

Is there a spring?

Or is it reflected upon colliding with either plate? Then there can't be any equilibrium between the plates.

voko said:
Is there a spring?

Or is it reflected upon colliding with either plate? Then there can't be any equilibrium between the plates.

It is a needle which is being moved by an automated sewing machine

I really can't see why do you need that information to answer the question :
Why isn't Energy conserved in this problem ?
In ANY case, the total energy at each and every point (displacement) during the SHM must be the same

Because the gravitational energy is not the only kind of potential energy in this problem (for that matter, it is not even obvious that there is potential energy here). As cepheid said, gravity alone won't be enough for SHM in this case.

You quite correctly get max v = ωA = 9π
If you put this in the 0.5mv^2 expression you will get an expression for the max KE
The max PE is given by 0.5F x A (average force x max displacement)
If you substitute the expression for max force in SHM you should see that the max KE = Max PE

ps...I don't think has anything to do with gravitational PE, as the others have said this cannot be SHM if it simply bouncing between 2 plates, there must be a spring of some sort

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to its displacement from a fixed point. This results in a sinusoidal or oscillatory motion that repeats itself over time.

2. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

3. How is energy conserved in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the total energy of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy of the object remains constant throughout the motion. As the object oscillates, its energy is constantly being converted between kinetic and potential energy, but the total energy remains the same.

4. What factors affect the conservation of energy in SHM?

The conservation of energy in simple harmonic motion is affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the amplitude of the oscillation, and the restoring force of the system. It also depends on whether there are any external forces acting on the object, which could cause energy to be lost from the system.

5. Why is the conservation of energy important in simple harmonic motion?

The conservation of energy is important in simple harmonic motion because it helps us understand the behavior of the system and predict its future motion. It also allows us to calculate important parameters such as the period, frequency, and amplitude of the motion. Additionally, the conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that applies to a wide range of phenomena and is essential for understanding the workings of the universe.