Simple harmonic motion object problem

In summary, the problem states that an object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with a period of 0.330 s and an amplitude of 5.95 cm. At t=0, the object is at rest at x=5.95 cm. The goal is to find the time it takes for the object to go from x=5.95 cm to x=-1.49 cm. The individual has attempted to use the equation x = A cos(wt + phase angle) but has encountered difficulties. They have not specified the specific equation they are using to solve the problem.
jaymode
I have this problem:
An object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with period 0.330 s and amplitude 5.95 cm. At t=0 the object is instantaneously at rest at x= 5.95 cm.

i need to find :
the time it takes the object to go from x= 5.95 cm to x= −1.49 cm.

I have tried using x = A cos(wt + phase angle)

but get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
jaymode said:
I have this problem:
An object is undergoing simple harmonic motion with period 0.330 s and amplitude 5.95 cm. At t=0 the object is instantaneously at rest at x= 5.95 cm.

i need to find :

but get stuck.
what effort have you put into this??

jaymode said:
I have this problem:

i need to find :

but get stuck.

this is very easy. What equation will you use ?

marlon

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line, with the same pattern of motion repeating itself over time. This type of motion is caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What is an example of a simple harmonic motion object?

An example of a simple harmonic motion object is a pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, it follows a simple harmonic motion pattern due to the gravitational force acting on it.

3. How is the period of a simple harmonic motion object calculated?

The period of a simple harmonic motion object is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant or the constant of proportionality for the restoring force.

4. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a simple harmonic motion object?

The amplitude, which is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position, affects the motion of a simple harmonic motion object by determining the maximum speed and acceleration of the object. The larger the amplitude, the greater the speed and acceleration will be.

5. What factors can affect the period of a simple harmonic motion object?

The period of a simple harmonic motion object can be affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant or restoring force, and the amplitude of the motion. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact on the period of the motion.