Simple harmonic motion of a body question

In summary, the phase of motion at t = 9.4 seconds is approximately 1.309 radians, calculated by taking the argument of the sine function, which is \omega t + \frac{\pi}{3}, and subtracting the multiples of 2\pi until the result is between 0 and 2\pi.
srj200

Homework Statement

A body oscillates with simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. Its displacement varies with time according to the equation

A=Ai * sin(wt+ (pi/3)) ,

Where w = pi radians per second, t is in seconds, and Ai = 2.4m.
What is the phase of motion at t = 9.4 seconds? Answer in units of radians.

Homework Equations

A is the amplitude.
Ai is the initial amplitude.
w is actually "omega" but I didn't know how to enter that. That is the given angular velocity in rad/s.
Pi is 3.14...

The Attempt at a Solution

I honesty don't know where to start. I just plugged into the equation with the given data and got

-1.78355 meters.

The answer wants radians. Also, it asks for the "phase of motion". The answer I got is just the final amplitude at the given time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
srj200 said:

Homework Statement

A body oscillates with simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. Its displacement varies with time according to the equation

A=Ai * sin(wt+ (pi/3)) ,

Where w = pi radians per second, t is in seconds, and Ai = 2.4m.
What is the phase of motion at t = 9.4 seconds? Answer in units of radians.

Homework Equations

A is the amplitude.
Ai is the initial amplitude.
w is actually "omega" but I didn't know how to enter that. That is the given angular velocity in rad/s.
Pi is 3.14...

The Attempt at a Solution

I honesty don't know where to start. I just plugged into the equation with the given data and got

-1.78355 meters.

The answer wants radians. Also, it asks for the "phase of motion". The answer I got is just the final amplitude at the given time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The phase is simply the argument of the sine function, namely the [itex] \omega t + \frac{\pi}{3} [/itex] That's all there is to it.

I think the "phase of motion" is the argument of the sine function (=ωt+φ)

So at time t=0, the phase of motion would just be the phase constant (in your problem, π/3). And I think your answer should be between 0 and 2π, so if you compute something larger than 2π, you should subtract multiples of 2π until you are in that range.

E.T.A.: Looks like I was too slow...and Greek letters don't work the way they used to...

You can trace the SHM motion through [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians of "phase" as the body moves past the origin, goes to maximum + displacement, returns to the origin, goes to maximum - displacement, and then back where it started. When the body crosses the origin, consider its phase to be 0; when it reaches maximum amplitude, phase = [itex]\pi/2[/itex]; back to the origin, phase = [itex]\pi[/itex]. Etc.

Hint: Consider the argument of the sine function.

(Looks like nrqed and jamesrc both beat me to it!)

Thanks for the help. I got it.

Last edited:

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth along a straight line, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It occurs when a restoring force is proportional to the displacement of the body from its equilibrium position.

What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A*sin(ωt + ϕ), where x(t) is the position of the body at time t, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and ϕ is the phase angle.

What factors affect the frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the body, the stiffness of the spring (if present), and the amplitude of the motion. The frequency is independent of the initial displacement or velocity of the body.

What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy?

Simple harmonic motion involves the exchange of potential and kinetic energy. At the equilibrium position, the body has maximum potential energy and no kinetic energy. As it moves away from equilibrium, potential energy decreases and kinetic energy increases. At the maximum displacement, the body has maximum kinetic energy and no potential energy. The total energy of the system remains constant.

How is simple harmonic motion used in real life?

Simple harmonic motion can be observed in various natural phenomena, such as the motion of a swinging pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass attached to a spring. It is also used in engineering and design, for example in the construction of suspension bridges and shock absorbers.