Simple Harmonic Motion of a particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of simple harmonic motion and finding the position of a particle when its speed is a given value. The equation for the particle's position is given and the equations for velocity and acceleration are derived. The second part of the question involves solving for the position algebraically and it is suggested to use trigonometric identities. The conversation also touches on a separate question about showing the force of a wooden log being pushed towards equilibrium is harmonic.
danago
Gold Member
A particle moves in a straight line so that its position, x cm, from a fixed point O, at time t seconds is given by [tex]x=3+12sin(2\pi t)+5cos(2 \pi t)[/tex].

Prove that the particle is undergoing simple harmonic motion, and find x when its speed is 26[tex]\pi[/tex] cm/s.

I was fine with the first part of the question...

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
x = 3 + 12\sin (2\pi t) + 5\cos (2\pi t) \\
v = \dot x = 24\pi \cos (2\pi t) - 10\pi \sin (2\pi t) \\
a = \ddot x = - 48\pi ^2 \sin (2\pi t) - 20\pi ^2 \cos (2\pi t) = - 4\pi ^2 (x - 3) = 12\pi ^2 - 4\pi ^2 x \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

With the second part, i can easily set the velocity equal to 26[tex]\pi[/tex] and solve it on my calculator, but how can i solve it algebraically?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to solve it exactly, you can write an expression of the form A*sin(x)+B*cos(x) as a single trig function. See the wikipedia page of trig identities under 'Linear combinations'.

Algebraically, the equation simplifies to [tex]x=3+13sin(2\pi t+\theta) [/tex] where [tex]\theta=sin^{-1}\frac{5}{13}[/tex].

Ah ofcourse, i forgot about solving it like that. Thanks :smile:

I have a wooden log floating in the water and it is being pushed towards the water. I am to show that the force that is pushing the log back to the equilibrium position is harmonic, and i just have no idea how to do it... There are no equations attached.

lihavahko said:
I have a wooden log floating in the water and it is being pushed towards the water. I am to show that the force that is pushing the log back to the equilibrium position is harmonic, and i just have no idea how to do it... There are no equations attached.

If you have a question, don't piggy-back it on someone else's thread. It won't get the notice it deserves. You don't need to show the 'force is harmonic', to show something is a harmonic oscillator you just need to show the restoring force is proportional to displacement. If this isn't clear, DON'T REPLY HERE. Start a new thread.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force on a particle is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position, and the motion is directed towards the equilibrium position.

What are the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The characteristics of SHM include a constant period (time for one complete cycle), a sinusoidal displacement graph, and a constant amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium).

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This is the same relationship as in SHM, where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement of the particle.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for SHM is x = A*cos(ωt+ϕ), where x is the displacement of the particle from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency (2π/T), and ϕ is the phase constant.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some examples of SHM in everyday life include the motion of a pendulum, the back-and-forth motion of a swing, and the vibration of a guitar string.