Simple Harmonic Motion Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in solving for k in the equation T = 2 x pi sq. rt. (m/k) and suggests squaring both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root on one side. However, it is mentioned that all parts of the equation must be squared, including the 2 and the 2 pi. Eventually, the simplified solution is given as k = ((2pi)^2 x m) / T^2.
03MGCobra
I am having a hard time solving for k in the equation
T =
2 x pi sq. rt. (m/k)

I know this is simple algebra but its keeping me from solving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
03MGCobra said:
I am having a hard time solving for k in the equation
T =
2 x pi sq. rt. (m/k)

I know this is simple algebra but its keeping me from solving this.

What happens if you square both sides of the equation?

the sq rt goes away on the side with 2 x pi (m/k) and then T^2. so T^2 = 2pi x (m/k) now can be simplified into k = (2pi x m) / T^2?

03MGCobra said:
the sq rt goes away on the side with 2 x pi (m/k) and then T^2. so T^2 = 2pi x (m/k) now can be simplified into k = (2pi x m) / T^2?

No, you can't just square part of a side. The [itex] 2 \pi [/itex] has to be squared, too.

T^2 = 2pi^2 x (m/k) then k = 2pi ^2 x m/ T^2

03MGCobra said:
T^2 = 2pi^2 x (m/k) then k = 2pi ^2 x m/ T^2

What about the 2? You must do the same operation to all parts of a given side if the equation is to remain balanced.

k =((2pi)^2 x m)/T^2

03MGCobra said:
k =((2pi)^2 x m)/T^2

That looks better!

If you want to clean it up a bit, you could make it:
[tex] k = \left( \frac{2 \pi}{T} \right)^2 m[/tex]

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where a system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It is a common phenomenon observed in many physical systems, such as pendulums, springs, and vibrating strings.

2. How do you calculate the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period in SHM?

The frequency (f) of a simple harmonic motion is inversely proportional to its period (T). This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is expressed by the formula f = 1/T.

4. How do you determine the amplitude of a simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of the system from its equilibrium position. It can be determined by measuring the distance between the equilibrium position and the maximum displacement of the object.

5. What is the role of damping in simple harmonic motion?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of a simple harmonic motion over time. It is caused by external factors such as friction or air resistance. Damping can affect the period and amplitude of a simple harmonic motion, and in some cases, it can cause the motion to stop completely.