Simple Harmonic Motion Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the period of a body oscillating in SHM according to the equation x = A cos(wt + f), where A = 8.8, ω = 1.070, and φ = 0.420. The first step is to rewrite the equation to avoid confusion, and then use the relationship between angular frequency and frequency to find the period. The final step is to solve for T using the given values.
NanoTech
A body oscillates in SHM according to the equation, x = A cos(wt + f) where A = 8.8, ω = 1.070, and φ = 0.420. Assume all quantities are in SI units. What is the period?

I don't know how to get the period from this equation? Can anyone lead me in the right direction, please? Thanks! ~Dave W.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I will re-write your equation to avoid confusion:

[tex] x = Acos(\omega{t} + \phi)[/tex]

where the quantities are as you stated.

Now, I can tell you that [tex]\omega[/tex] (the angular frequency) is equal to [tex]2\pi{f}[/tex], where f is the frequency (number of oscillations per second).

From that, can you find the period?

Kinda. I see that [tex] f = \frac{1}{T}[/tex]

So, from that, I can write:

[tex] x = Acos(\frac{2\pi}{T}(t) + \phi)[/tex]

Then, I solve for T:

but I've now introduced an "x" and a "t" into the problem, where do i go from here?

Last edited:
NanoTech said:
Kinda. I see that [tex] f = \frac{1}{T}[/tex]
Right!
So, from that, I can write:

[tex] x = Acos(\frac{2\pi}{T}(t) + \phi)[/tex]
Don't do that! Instead write the equation for ω (which is given) in terms of T. (I know you can do it, since that's what you just did to rewrite that equation.)

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium position in a predictable pattern.

What are some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include a mass-spring system, a pendulum, and a simple pendulum (e.g. a swing). These systems exhibit SHM because the restoring force (gravity or the spring) is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A*sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase angle.

What is the relationship between period and frequency in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period (T) of Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, while frequency (f) is the number of oscillations per unit time. The relationship between the two is T = 1/f, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

How does damping affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

Damping is the gradual decrease of amplitude over time in a Simple Harmonic Motion system. It can be caused by external forces (such as friction) or internal factors (such as air resistance). Damping decreases the total energy of the system, resulting in a shorter period and smaller amplitude. Eventually, the system will reach equilibrium and stop oscillating.