1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion question

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://puu.sh/cAjmp/14ba3df23a.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Acceleration at any instant: -(2*pi*f)^2 * x, where x is displacement from equilibrium and f is frequency.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, I know it can't be D as acceleration would increase as potential energy increases, it also can't be B as acceleration is 0 when velocity is at a maximum, or "1", so it isn't in the opposite direction.

Where I am confused is at A and C, as they both seem correct to me. When the particle's speed is greatest is when it is passing through equilibrium, and so acceleration will be 0, its least value. But as acceleration is -(2*pi*f)^2 * x, you can say that acceleration is proportional to the frequency. Therefore, they are both right? But the answer is A only.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Py, welcome to PF :)

You have correctly eliminated B and D. In C, the word "proportional" means that if one doubles, the other doubles too. That there is a factor f in the expression isn't enough: netto there has to be one factor f only.

Voting goes strongly to answer A: with ##a = {dv\over dt}## and the second one is zero at points where the speed is greatest, meaning the magnitude of a is then zero.

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    Thank you, this cleared it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted