Simple harmonic motion - Springs

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with determining forces in systems with strings or springs. The equations and attempted solution involve finding the positions and forces of two masses connected by a spring. The person asking the question is unsure of the correct signs for the forces and if their solution is correct, and they also mention that the problem lacks certain information. Eventually, they were able to solve the problem with the help of others.
Jalo

Homework Statement

I have trouble determining the system of forces in systems with strings like the following:
2qxuxy9.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is it is:

x1=L/3 x2=2L/3

mass 1: -kx1+k(x2-x1)=m1a1
mass 2: -k(x2-x1)+kx1=m2a2

I'm not sure it is correct. Even if it is, anyone knows a good way to see the correct signs of the forces? I have some trouble identifying them...

Thanks ahead!
D.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jalo! :smile:

I believe the question lacks information. Your title says springs and the question states strings. :-p

Alsos, there is nothing mentioned about the elastic constant 'k', nor about which forces do you require. If all the forces, it would have to include gravitational force too...

The criterion for SHM is that the restoring force be proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium postiion.
You have to the equilibrium configuration.

Last edited:
Infinitum said:
Hi Jalo! :smile:

I believe the question lacks information. Your title says springs and the question states strings. :-p

Alsos, there is nothing mentioned about the elastic constant 'k', nor about which forces do you require. If all the forces, it would have to include gravitational force too...

Constank k, no gravitational force, and just imagine it as springs. hope that helps :P

Jalo said:
Constank k, no gravitational force, and just imagine it as springs. hope that helps :P

What is their natural length? By how much are they compressed/extended from mean position??

Infinitum said:
What is their natural length? By how much are they compressed/extended from mean position??

The problem doesn't give any data other the one I wrote.
However I managed to solve the problem. Thanks to all who tried to help. :)

D.

Related to Simple harmonic motion - Springs

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force acting on an object is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal or oscillatory motion.

2. What is a spring?

A spring is a flexible object that is able to store potential energy when it is stretched or compressed. It follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by the spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

3. How does a spring exhibit simple harmonic motion?

When a spring is displaced from its equilibrium position, a restoring force is exerted on the object attached to the spring. This force is proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction, causing the object to oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point. This results in simple harmonic motion.

4. What factors affect the frequency of a spring's simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of a spring's simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object attached, the stiffness of the spring (spring constant), and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the motion. A heavier mass or stiffer spring will result in a lower frequency, while a larger amplitude will result in a higher frequency.

5. How is simple harmonic motion of a spring used in real life?

Simple harmonic motion of a spring is used in various applications, such as in mechanical clocks, musical instruments (e.g. guitar strings), and shock absorbers in vehicles. It is also used in engineering and physics experiments to study oscillatory motion and energy conservation.