Maximizing Speed in Simple Harmonic Motion: Solving for Displacement

In summary, an object attached to a spring with a force constant of 30 N/m has a velocity of 2.5 m/s at a displacement of 0.55 m from equilibrium and a period of 2.45 s. After other calculations, the mass is found to be 4.561 kg, total energy is 18.79 J, amplitude is 1.12 m, and maximum speed is 2.86 m/s. The question is at what displacement is the speed maximized and the suggested formulas to use are v(t)=\omega A\cos(\omega t+\phi) and x(t)=A\sin(\omega t+\phi).
Soaring Crane
An object attached to a spring (k = 30 N/m) has a velocity of 2.5 m/s when it is .55 m from equilibrium, and has a period of 2.45 s.

After doing other parts I found the mass to be 4.561 kg, the total energy of the system to be 18.79 J, the amplitude to be 1.12 m, and the maximum speed to be 2.86 m/s.

The part that I am stuck on/don't understand is: At what displacement is the speed maximized?

What am I supposed to do? What formulas am I supposed to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Soaring Crane said:
An object attached to a spring (k = 30 N/m) has a velocity of 2.5 m/s when it is .55 m from equilibrium, and has a period of 2.45 s.

After doing other parts I found the mass to be 4.561 kg, the total energy of the system to be 18.79 J, the amplitude to be 1.12 m, and the maximum speed to be 2.86 m/s.

The part that I am stuck on/don't understand is: At what displacement is the speed maximized?

What am I supposed to do? What formulas am I supposed to use?

I made use of a simpler version of it in the other thread.
It is:
[tex] v(t)=\omega A\cos(\omega t+\phi) [/tex]
,from where u must find the 'cos'.From the 'cos',it's easy to find the 'sine' which is going to be needed to compute the "x".
[tex] x(t)=A\sin(\omega t+\phi) [/tex]

Daniel.

To solve for the displacement at which the speed is maximized, you can use the formula for maximum speed in simple harmonic motion, which is vmax = ωA, where ω is the angular frequency and A is the amplitude.

First, we need to find the angular frequency, ω, which can be calculated using the formula ω = 2π/T, where T is the period of the motion. In this case, T = 2.45 s, so ω = 2π/2.45 = 2.566 rad/s.

Next, we can use the given amplitude of 1.12 m to solve for the maximum speed, vmax = 2.566 rad/s * 1.12 m = 2.87 m/s.

Finally, we need to find the displacement at which this maximum speed occurs. To do this, we can use the formula for displacement in simple harmonic motion, x(t) = A*cos(ωt), where x(t) is the displacement at time t. We know that at t = 0, the object is at equilibrium (x = 0), so we can set up the equation as 0 = 1.12*cos(2.566*0). Solving for cos(0), we get x(t) = 1.12.

Therefore, the displacement at which the speed is maximized is 1.12 m. This makes sense intuitively, as the object's speed will be highest at the point where it is farthest from equilibrium, which in this case is at a displacement of 1.12 m.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

2. What are the factors that affect simple harmonic motion?

The factors that affect simple harmonic motion are the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion.

3. How is simple harmonic motion mathematically represented?

Simple harmonic motion can be mathematically represented by the equation x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy?

In simple harmonic motion, the total energy of the system is constant and is shared between kinetic energy and potential energy. As the object oscillates, it converts back and forth between these two forms of energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, and a tuning fork. Other examples include the motion of a swing and the vibrations of a guitar string.