How can I find the value of phi in a simple harmonic motion equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of phi in the equation v = -A ωsin(ωt + φ) in order to solve question 1c in the given assignment. The participants suggest taking the first derivative of the displacement formula and checking the function and graph at t=0. They also mention that phi is the "little wt offset" if the timer is not started in sync.
ice87
http://noether.physics.ubc.ca/physics153/assign72k5.pdf

I don't get number 1 c, which equation do i use? and in general, how would I be able to find phi?

OK, i figured i should find the first derivative of the displacement formula, which becomes v = -Asin(wt + phi) but that still undoable, how do i find phi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your derivative. remember that max(sin(x)) is 1

ah yes, i see, it should be v = -A ωsin(ωt + φ), but that's just a typo, i actually had this equation when i wrote it down on paper. But i still don't know how to find phi

look at t=0 ... what's the function? what's the graph?
phi is just the "little wt offset" if you don't start the timer in synch.

Last edited:

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a constant frequency and amplitude. It occurs when the restoring force on an object is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point.

What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A*cos(ωt), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and t is time.

What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and a mass-spring system?

Simple harmonic motion can occur in a mass-spring system, where the restoring force is provided by the spring. The mass-spring system follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

How does the period of simple harmonic motion change with amplitude and mass?

The period of simple harmonic motion is independent of the amplitude and mass of the object. It only depends on the angular frequency, which is determined by the mass and spring constant in a mass-spring system.

What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion include a pendulum, a mass-spring system, a swinging door, and a vibrating guitar string. It can also be observed in the motion of molecules and atoms, and in sound and light waves.