Simple Harmonic Oscillator Problem with Slight Variation

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a particle moving in a simple harmonic oscillator potential with an infinite potential barrier at x=0, and the task of finding the allowed wave functions and corresponding energies. The conversation mentions the use of the Schrödinger equation and the substitution of potentials to solve the resulting differential equation. The conversation also mentions a specific integration technique (Gaussian) and a useful website for further information.
Kvm90

Homework Statement

A particle is moving in a simple harmonic oscillator potential V(x)=1/2*K*x^2 for x[tex]\geq0[/tex], but with an infinite potential barrier at x=0 (the paddle ball potential). Calculate the allowed wave functions and corresponding energies.

Homework Equations

I am thinking that the wave function would be [tex]\Psi=Ae^(i*x*sqrt{2m(E-1/2*k*x^2)}/hbar)+Be^(-i*x*sqrt{(2mE-1/2*K*x^2)}/hbar)

Is this the right wave function? How do I go about finding the energies? Thanks for any help you can afford!

(Sorry for the incompetency with Latex)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The systematic way to solve these problems is to plug the potentials into the schrodinger equation, solve the resulting differential equation for psi, impose boundary criteria, then normalize the wavefunction

yea then you get

d^2Psi/dx^2 + [2m(E-1/2Kx^2]/hbar^2*psi = 0

I do not know how to solve this differential equation.

I'm pretty sure there's a lengthy integration and manipulation of the differential equation to yield psi(s) = f(s)e^[s^2/2] and then some more manipulation to lead to values for this polynomial f(s).

NOTE: s=x*(Km)^(1/4)/hbar^(1/2)
lambda = [2*sqrt(m)*E]/(hbar*sqrt(K))

in the initial substitution into the schrodinger equation to yield:
d^psi/dx^2 + (lambda - s^2)*psi = 0

Anyone know of this integration technique (Gaussian)? Anyone know whether the technique still applies if x can only be greater than 0?

wow great site in general, thanks a lot

What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system in which a mass is attached to a spring and oscillates back and forth with a constant amplitude and frequency.

What is the equation for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The equation for a simple harmonic oscillator is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the position of the mass at time t, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What is the period of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The period of a simple harmonic oscillator is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, and it is given by T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency.

How does a slight variation affect a simple harmonic oscillator?

A slight variation, such as changing the mass or the spring constant, can affect the amplitude, frequency, and period of a simple harmonic oscillator. It can also change the energy of the system and the maximum displacement of the mass.

What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic oscillators?

Some common examples of simple harmonic oscillators include a swinging pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, a tuning fork, and a mass on a vibrating string.