But we can't show that x = 2 is the only solution.

• Thread starter Champdx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary: ONLY solution without guessing or using numerical methods.In summary, the equation 2^x + 3^x = 13 with x = 2 can be shown to be true by simply plugging in x = 2 and getting 13 as the result. However, there is no analytical way to solve this equation and find the precise value of x without guessing or using numerical methods.
Champdx

Homework Statement

2^x+3^x=13, x=2. How do i prove it?

The Attempt at a Solution

i did this
x log 2 + x log 3 = log 13
x(log 2 + log 3)=log 13
x(0.301+0.477)= 1.11
0.778x=1.11
x=1.43

Physics news on Phys.org
? Why not just substitute "2" for "x"?

[itex]2^x+ 3^x= 2^2+ 3^2= 4+ 9= 13[/itex].

You are not asked so solve the equation!

Hi Champdx! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Champdx said:

Nooo :redface:

that's log (x2x3) :wink:

Actually i know that the answer x=2 but how am i suppose to prove it?

If the question says "solve 2x + 3x = 13", then there's no exact way of doing it, you'll have to use an approximation method (or guess).

If the question says "show that 2x + 3x = 13 has a solution x = 2", or "prove that 2x + 3x = 13 has a solution x = 2", then all you need to do is to show that 22 + 32 = 13. :smile:

Champdx said:

Homework Statement

2^x+3^x=13, x=2. How do i prove it?

The Attempt at a Solution

i did this
You can't get the equation above from the one you started with. log(A + B) [itex]\neq[/itex] logA + logB. What you did was to take the log of both sides to get
log(2^x + 3^x) = log 13. That's a legitimate step, but it doesn't lead you anywhere.
The problem is that log(2^x + 3^x) [itex]\neq[/itex] log 2^x + log 3^x.
Champdx said:
x(log 2 + log 3)=log 13
x(0.301+0.477)= 1.11
0.778x=1.11
x=1.43

Is there any way to solve this question by calculation?

Thanks.

Nope. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
If the question says "solve 2x + 3x = 13", then there's no exact way of doing it, you'll have to use an approximation method (or guess).

If the question says "show that 2x + 3x = 13 has a solution x = 2", or "prove that 2x + 3x = 13 has a solution x = 2", then all you need to do is to show that 22 + 32 = 13. :smile:

Champ, read this quote again. There are only two options:
1) "Solve..." or
2) "Show that"/"Prove..."

There's a phrase that comes up frequently in math (that honestly kinda p*sses me off!)...
"By inspection...".
This means "I can SEE the answer, but I can't/won't show HOW you could get the same answer without guessing". There might be a better description out there for this phrase, which I think applies to our situation.

We can see that x = 2 is a solution. We can see that it is a UNIQUE solution because increasing/decreasing x will increase/decrease BOTH terms on the left hand side of the equation...

1. How do you begin to prove 2^x+3^x=13 for x=2?

To begin, we can substitute x=2 into the equation, giving us 2^2+3^2=13. This simplifies to 4+9=13, which is a true statement. This is our starting point for the proof.

2. Can you use algebra to prove this equation?

Yes, we can use algebra to prove this equation. We can start by rewriting 2^x+3^x as (2+3)^x. Then, using the binomial theorem, we can expand this to (2^x+3^x)(2+3)^(x-1). From here, we can simplify the equation and show that it is equal to 13 for x=2.

3. What other methods can be used to prove this equation?

In addition to algebra, we can also use logarithms to prove this equation. We can start by taking the logarithm of both sides, giving us log(2^x+3^x)=log(13). Then, using logarithm properties, we can rewrite the left side as xlog2+xlog3=log(13). From here, we can solve for x and show that it is equal to 2.

4. Is there a visual way to prove this equation?

Yes, we can also use a graph to prove this equation. We can graph the functions y=2^x+3^x and y=13 and show that they intersect at x=2. This visually demonstrates that the two expressions are equal for x=2.

5. What is the significance of proving this equation?

Proving this equation is significant because it shows that the two expressions, 2^x+3^x and 13, are equivalent for the specific value of x=2. This can also lead to a deeper understanding of exponential and logarithmic functions and their properties.