Evaluating S x^5 / [rt(x^2-ax)]dx

• Thread starter Howsertal
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation is trying to find a way to evaluate the indefinite integral S x^5 / [rt(x^2-ax)]. My idea was to rewrite it as x^(9/2) / [rt(x-a)] and then do the substitution u = rt(x-a). But this too is difficult to evaluate. Welcome to PF!
Howsertal

Homework Statement

Is there a simple way to evaluate

S x^5 / [rt(x^2-ax)] dx ?

That is, the indefinite integral of (x^5) / [square root of (x^2-ax)].

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to rewrite it as x^(9/2) / [rt(x-a)] and then do the substitution u = rt(x-a).
Then you get

S 2(u^2+a)^(9/2) du

But this too is difficult to evaluate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Howsertal said:
∫ x^5 /√(x² - ax) dx ?

Hi Howsertal! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: it's always worth trying completing the square … that is, putting (x² - ax) in the form ((x-b)² - c). :smile:

Hmm okay, so that puts it in the form

∫ x^5 / √[(x-(a/2))² - (a²/4)] dx

One possible substitution seems to be u = x-(a/2) but that puts it in the form

∫(u+(a/2))^5 / [u²-(a/2)²] du = ∫ (u+(a/2))^(9/2)) / [u-(a/2)] du

which doesn't seem a lot better than what we started with. A trig substitution of the form
[x-(a/2)] = (a/2)secψ in the first integral above would yield

∫ [(((a/2)secψ) + (a/2))^5)/tanψ] secψtanψ d ψ

= ∫ (((a/2)secψ +(a/2))^5 secψ d ψ

which doesn't seem to yield easily either =/. Those are the only obvious substitutions I can think of. Is there a trick to this or am I just not seeing something? Thanks a lot for your help (btw having the list of symbols in your sig is a great idea!)

Last edited:
secant= 1/cosine. And odd powers of trig functions are relative easy to integrate.

Hi Howsertal! :smile:
Howsertal said:
∫ ((secψ +(a/2))^5 secψ d ψ

Looks ok to me … :smile:

Hint: what is (d/dψ)(sec^{n}ψ tanψ)?

(yes … I tried to get them to put the symbols on the Reply page … but this is almost as good … and I only use the signature if I need it! :biggrin:)

Do you mean that we can get

∫ (((a/2)secψ +(a/2))^5 secψ d ψ

into an expression just involving odd powers of trig functions?

Tiny-tim,

That derivative came out to
[sec^{n+2}ψ](1+n) - nsec^{n}ψ

which seems like it could be helpful but I'm not sure how. Sorry if I seem really dense.

:frown:

Last edited:
Hi Howsertal! :smile:

Well, you want to integrate (secψ +(a/2))^5 secψ, which is powers of secψ up to the sixth, and you now know that:

∫((n+1)sec^{n+2}ψ - nsec^{n}ψ) dψ = sec^{n}ψ tanψ :smile:

Ah i see, thank you very much. So that's a nifty way of getting expressions for all the integrals of powers of secant recursively.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of evaluating S x^5 / [rt(x^2-ax)]dx?

The purpose of evaluating this expression is to determine the definite integral of x^5 / [rt(x^2-ax)]dx. This can help in solving various real-world problems that involve finding the total area under a curve or the total amount of a changing quantity.

What is the process for evaluating this expression?

The process for evaluating this expression involves using integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to simplify the expression and then applying the fundamental theorem of calculus. This will result in a numerical value for the definite integral of the expression.

What are some common challenges when evaluating this expression?

Some common challenges when evaluating this expression include determining the appropriate substitution or integration technique to use, dealing with complex algebraic manipulations, and correctly applying the fundamental theorem of calculus. Additionally, if the limits of integration are not clearly defined, it can be difficult to determine the exact value of the definite integral.

How is this expression used in real-life applications?

This expression is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change, area under curves, and optimization. For example, it can be used to calculate the total work done by a variable force or the total revenue generated by a changing price.

Are there any special cases or exceptions when evaluating this expression?

Yes, there are some special cases or exceptions when evaluating this expression. For instance, if the limits of integration are infinite, the integral may not converge, and thus the value cannot be determined. Additionally, if the expression includes any discontinuities or singularities within the limits of integration, the integral may also not converge.