Understanding Integration: Simplifying Logarithms and Exponents

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of 3/x and 3x^-1, as well as the use of logarithms in these equations. It is noted that the correct answer for 3/x is 3 log x, and the incorrect answer is 3 x^0, which ignores the divide by zero. The concept of logarithms is further explained and its importance in integration is discussed. The conversation also mentions the differentiation of the correct and incorrect answers and how it relates to the use of logarithms. It is acknowledged that this topic may not be covered on a current exam and is left for further study.
DeanBH
i know how to integrate.

but why is 3/x 3 log x3x^-1 3 x^0 X^0 = 1 3*1 = 3.

i know I'm ignoring the divide by zero

why does log come into it.

4e^(1/2) I am messing this one up as well.4e^(3/2) / (3/2)

= 8/3e^(3/2) that's like as far as i get it.

somehow the answers have it at 8e^1/2

can anyone explain how that is so

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try differentiating your answer and the correct answer and see what you get (each with respect to x of course). In which case do you get the function you started off with?

I already know that mine is wrong and theirs is right, I just don't know how to get to their answer. >.<

k : i don't know all rules of integration apparently integral of 1/x = logx

still need help on 2nd one though

Last edited:
Re-write your original post, it's very hard to interpret!

Well, obviously, your answer is wrong precisely because you are "ignoring that divide by 0".

One way to show that "log(x)" comes into it is to define log(x) as
[tex]\int_1^x \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
That is done in some textbooks.

Or you can define log(x) to be the inverse function to ex. Then if y= ln(x), x= ey. Differentiating both sides by x, 1= ey dy/dx or dy/dx= 1/ey. Since ey= x, that is dy/dx= 1/x.

Since the derivative of log(x) is 1/x, the anti-derivative (indefinite integral) of log(x) is 1/x+ C.

this is a 5 year old exam, i assume the anti-derivatives don't come on my exam now, as the teacher hasnt taught them and they arnt on the last few year exams.

so il leave it for now. =)

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

What are logarithms and exponents?

Logarithms and exponents are mathematical operations that are used to manipulate numbers. Logarithms are the inverse of exponents, meaning they undo each other. They are often used to simplify calculations involving large numbers or to solve equations involving variables in the exponent.

How do I simplify logarithms and exponents?

To simplify logarithms and exponents, you can use the following rules:

• Product Rule: logb(xy) = logb(x) + logb(y)
  • Quotient Rule: logb(x/y) = logb(x) - logb(y)
  • Power Rule: logb(xn) = n*logb(x)
  • Change of Base Rule: logb(x) = loga(x)/loga(b)
You can also use properties of exponents, such as multiplying or dividing like bases and raising a power to a power, to simplify expressions with exponents.

Why is understanding integration important?

Understanding integration is important because it is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to solve complex problems and make predictions about real-world situations. It is also a key concept in understanding the relationship between position, velocity, and acceleration in physics.

What are some real-life applications of integration?

Integration has many real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve to find the total distance traveled by a moving object, determining the amount of medication in a person's bloodstream over time, and predicting future population growth based on current data. It is also used in economics to calculate total revenue and to determine optimal production levels. In engineering, integration is used to find the work done by a force and to analyze the stress and strain on structures.