Understanding Simple Limits: Exploring the Equation and Concept of Limit in Math

• Thread starter haribol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the equation for the limit I think states that the limit of a fraction is the point at which the numerator and denominator both reach 0.
haribol
In the attached picture, the equation for the limit I think is:

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \\\ \frac{f(x+ \Delta x) - f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

When [tex]\Delta x[/tex] approaches 0, why wouldn't the [tex]f(x+ \Delta x)[/tex] approach [tex]f(x)[/tex]? Because as the point Q approaches P, then wouldn't the y value of point Q also approach that of P? Or am I not understanding the concept?

Attachments

• figure1.gif
    figure1.gif
    1 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
haribol said:
In the attached picture, the equation for the limit I think is:

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \\\ \frac{f(x+ \Delta x) - f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

When [tex]\Delta x[/tex] approaches 0, why wouldn't the [tex]f(x+ \Delta x)[/tex] approach [tex]f(x)[/tex]? Because as the point Q approaches P, then wouldn't the y value of point Q also approach that of P? Or am I not understanding the concept?

You appear to be misunderstanding the concept. And, considering that the concept is that of a "derivative", one of the keys to calculus, you really want to understand it!

Yes, of course, [tex]f(x+ \Delta x)[/tex] approaches [tex]f(x)[/tex]. If it didn't, since the denominator necessarily approaches 0, the limit of the fraction would not exist!

You may be thinking "If the numerator goes to 0, then the limit must always be 0" but that's only true if the limit of the denominator is NOT 0.
If neither numerator nor denominator goes to 0, that's easy: you can take those limits separately and the limit of the fraction is just one over the other.
If numerator goes to 0 and denominator does not, that's easy: the limit of the fraction is 0.
If numerator does not go to 0 and denominator does, that's easy: the limit of the fraction does not exist.
The only "hard" case, and the interesting one, is exactly what is given here: both numerator and denominator go to 0 and we cannot look at the numerator and denominator separately.

I don't quite understand you. According to that graph, then the limit is 0/0?

Parameterize [tex]\Delta x = x_0 \times p[/tex] as an evolution with parameter [tex]p\rightarrow 0[/tex]. Then if the numerator goes like [tex]f(x+\Delta x) - f(x) \approx s_0 \times p[/tex] you see that the ratio will tend to [tex]\frac{s_0}{x_0}[/tex] which is non-vanishing, although both the numerator and the denominator go to zero.

No, the limit is not 0/0- that is an "indeterminant" and it doesn't mean anything. What it means is that if you have a fraction such that both numerator and denominator go to 0, then you have to look more closely.

What is the limit of x2/x as x goes to 0? What is the limit of 3x/x as x goes to 0? Think hard about those limits before you start on derivatives.

What is a simple limits question?

A simple limits question is a type of mathematical question that involves finding the limit, or the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It typically involves evaluating the function at different values and observing the trend of the output.

Why are simple limits questions important?

Simple limits questions are important because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their outputs. They are also used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations, to solve more complex problems.

How do I solve a simple limits question?

To solve a simple limits question, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, or applying limit laws. The specific method to use depends on the type of function and the value that the input is approaching.

What are some common mistakes when solving simple limits questions?

One common mistake when solving simple limits questions is to assume that a limit exists when it does not. Another mistake is to overlook the possibility of a limit being infinite or undefined. It is important to carefully evaluate the function and consider all possible scenarios.

How can I practice solving simple limits questions?

You can practice solving simple limits questions by using online resources, textbooks, or working with a tutor. It is also helpful to identify the specific type of limits question you struggle with and focus on practicing similar problems.