Proving Simple Linear Algebra Statement: A^2 = A implies A is either 0 or I

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a matrix A satisfies A^2 = A, then A must be either the zero matrix or the identity matrix. The suggested approach is to multiply both sides by A and observe that A must equal A^3, A^4, etc. However, it is also noted that the statement "if AB= 0 then either A= 0 or B= 0" is not necessarily true for matrices. The conversation concludes by discussing a possible counterexample to the original statement.
CuppoJava

Homework Statement

Prove that given a matrix A, and A^2 = A, then A must be either the zero matrix or the identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

By multiplying both sides by A, you can deduce that A = A^2 = A^3 = A^4 ...
From there I think it's obvious that A must be either 0 or I, but I don't know how to start proving it formally.

Thanks very much for your help
-Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking the determinant of A

Is there a way to prove it without using the determinant. This exercise is given before determinants are introduced.

Thanks
-Patrick

If [itex]A^2= A[/itex], then [itex]A^2- A= A(A- I)= 0[/itex].

However, you have to be careful here. With matrices it is NOT true that "if AB= 0 then either A= 0 or B= 0".

Is that true? What about A = [1,0;0,0]? This is not zero or I but A^2 = A

Ah. I didn't spot that buzzmath. Thank you. The question actually does say either prove or find a counterexample. I was just too sure that it was true.

Thanks
-Patrick

FAQ: Proving Simple Linear Algebra Statement: A^2 = A implies A is either 0 or I

1. What is Simple Linear Algebra Proof?

Simple Linear Algebra Proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the validity of statements involving linear equations and transformations. It involves using the properties and operations of linear algebra to show that a given statement is true.

2. Why is Simple Linear Algebra Proof important?

Simple Linear Algebra Proof is important because it allows us to verify the accuracy of mathematical statements and provides a rigorous method for solving problems involving linear equations and transformations. It is also a fundamental tool used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and statistics.

3. What are the key concepts in Simple Linear Algebra Proof?

The key concepts in Simple Linear Algebra Proof include vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to formulate and solve problems involving linear equations and transformations.

4. What are some common techniques used in Simple Linear Algebra Proof?

Some common techniques used in Simple Linear Algebra Proof include direct proofs, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by counterexample. These techniques involve constructing logical arguments using the properties and operations of linear algebra to support the validity of a given statement.

5. How can I improve my skills in Simple Linear Algebra Proof?

To improve your skills in Simple Linear Algebra Proof, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and properties of linear algebra. Practicing solving problems and working through proofs can also help improve your skills. Additionally, studying the proofs of known theorems and understanding the logic behind them can also enhance your understanding and ability to construct proofs.

Back