Solving Simple Magnet Circuit Problem - LtSnikch

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with a permanent magnet in an L-shape and a conducting metal. The main question is how to determine the attraction force between the two based on the gap size. The solution cannot be found using traditional formulas and instead requires the use of a software package like Maxwell 3D.
LtSnikch
Hello everyone,

as you may notice I am new to this forum. Unfortunately I've been stuck on a small problem for a few days and I can't seem to find the solution.

It appears to be a simple problem so I am hoping that someone here, with a bit more electrical engineering background as myself might be able to help out.

I have a permanent magnet in an L-shape (take B = 0.5 Tesla in order to avoid saturation), with the n-pole on the one end and the s-pole on the other. The idea now is to make this into a square circuit by moving a conducting metal into the gap.

My question here is: How can I derive the attraction force which is acted on the metal by the magnet from the gapsize between them.

The dimensions are still unknown but I just need help with the formula's. Been looking at Coulomb's and Maxwell's for too long without seeing the solution. Any help would be thankfull.

Greetings,
LtSnikch

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a notoriously difficult problem. Solutions exist only for the simplest cases such as parallel plates. For an arbitrary shape, you'll never find a formula. You'll have to use a software package like Maxwell 3D instead.

FAQ: Solving Simple Magnet Circuit Problem - LtSnikch

What is a simple magnet circuit problem?

A simple magnet circuit problem involves analyzing the behavior of a circuit containing a magnet or magnets. This can include determining the magnetic field strength, direction, and forces acting on the magnet(s) in the circuit.

What is LtSnikch?

LtSnikch is a mnemonic device used to remember the steps for solving simple magnet circuit problems. It stands for "List the knowns, take a guess, Solve using equations, check your answer, and have confidence in your solution."

What are the knowns in a simple magnet circuit problem?

The knowns in a simple magnet circuit problem include the properties of the magnet(s) (such as magnetic field strength, orientation, and dimensions), the materials in the circuit, and any given values or equations.

How do you take a guess in solving a simple magnet circuit problem?

Taking a guess in a simple magnet circuit problem involves using your intuition or prior knowledge to make an estimate of the answer before solving the equations. This can help you check your work and catch any potential errors.

Why is it important to check your answer in solving a simple magnet circuit problem?

Checking your answer is important in solving a simple magnet circuit problem because it ensures that you have correctly solved the equations and provides validation for your solution. It can also help catch any mistakes or inconsistencies in your calculations.

Back