Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple magnet circuit

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone,

as you may notice I am new to this forum. Unfortunately I've been stuck on a small problem for a few days and I can't seem to find the solution.

It appears to be a simple problem so I am hoping that someone here, with a bit more electrical engineering background as myself might be able to help out.

I have a permanent magnet in an L-shape (take B = 0.5 Tesla in order to avoid saturation), with the n-pole on the one end and the s-pole on the other. The idea now is to make this into a square circuit by moving a conducting metal into the gap.

My question here is: How can I derive the attraction force which is acted on the metal by the magnet from the gapsize between them.

The dimensions are still unknown but I just need help with the formula's. Been looking at Coulomb's and Maxwell's for too long without seeing the solution. Any help would be thankfull.

Greetings,
    LtSnikch

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted