Simple Magnetic Field Question.

In summary, The conversation is about a homework problem involving the use of the right hand rule and right hand grip rule to determine the direction of motion, current, and magnetic field. The person is stuck on the first question and is asking for help. Another person responds with a clarification on which rule to use and suggests looking at diagrams on hyperphysics. They also discuss the difference between the two rules.
gabloammar

Homework Statement

In the attachment.

Homework Equations

The left hand rule. [and the right hand grip rule maybe?]

The Attempt at a Solution

Aren't we supposed to have two of three things [out of direction of motion, direction of current, and direction of magnetic field] to find the third thing? I'm stuck at the the first question so I can't really move on to the next one. Could someone please help?

I don't know where to start. I checked my textbook and I don't know what information to use from it. It's not making a lot of sense. Could someone please help?

Attachments

• June '06.Q 6 (a) (i,ii)..jpg
    June '06.Q 6 (a) (i,ii)..jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
hi gabloammar! :smile:
gabloammar said:
Aren't we supposed to have two of three things [out of direction of motion, direction of current, and direction of magnetic field] to find the third thing?

no, that's a different hand! :biggrin:

the one you want is with the thumb pointing along the current, the fingers curl round the wire in the direction of the magnetic field

see hyperphysics for the best diagrams! :smile:

Thanks for the reply!

That's the right hand rule then isn't it?

And I wanted to ask, what's the difference between the right hand grip rule and the right hand rule?

hi gabloammar! :smile:

the right hand grip rule has only two directions, the thumb and the curling fingers

the right hand rule has three directions, the thumb, the index finger, and the other fingers :wink:

I understand your frustration with this question. It can be challenging to apply concepts from a textbook to a specific problem without clear instructions. Let's start by breaking down the information given in the question. We have a magnetic field and a current, but we are missing the direction of motion. To find the direction of motion, we can use the left hand rule. Place your left hand with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current and your fingers curled in the direction of the magnetic field. Your palm will then be facing the direction of motion. Alternatively, you can use the right hand grip rule, where your fingers point in the direction of the current, your palm faces the direction of the magnetic field, and your thumb points in the direction of motion. I hope this helps you to solve the first question and continue with the rest of the problem. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is produced by moving electric charges. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of magnetic materials.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created when electrically charged particles, such as electrons, move through space or within an object. It can also be created by a magnet or an electric current.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has both magnitude and direction. It is strongest at the poles of a magnet and decreases as you move away from the magnet. The direction of the magnetic field is defined as the direction in which a compass needle would point.

4. How does a magnetic field interact with other objects?

A magnetic field can interact with other magnetic objects, causing them to either attract or repel each other. It can also induce an electric current in a conductor that moves through the field.

5. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device measures the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific location. Different units, such as Gauss or Tesla, are used to measure the strength of the field.