1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Magnetic Field Question.

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the attachment.

2. Relevant equations

The left hand rule. [and the right hand grip rule maybe?]

3. The attempt at a solution

Aren't we supposed to have two of three things [out of direction of motion, direction of current, and direction of magnetic field] to find the third thing? I'm stuck at the the first question so I can't really move on to the next one. Could someone please help?

I don't know where to start. I checked my textbook and I don't know what information to use from it. It's not making a lot of sense. Could someone please help?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi gabloammar! :smile:
    no, that's a different hand! :biggrin:

the one you want is with the thumb pointing along the current, the fingers curl round the wire in the direction of the magnetic field

see hyperphysics for the best diagrams! :smile:

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

That's the right hand rule then isn't it?

And I wanted to ask, what's the difference between the right hand grip rule and the right hand rule?

5. May 8, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi gabloammar! :smile:

the right hand grip rule has only two directions, the thumb and the curling fingers

the right hand rule has three directions, the thumb, the index finger, and the other fingers :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook