Simple Math Question: Finding the Value of A in a Divisibility Problem

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the value of the digit A in the number 2A, which is divisible by both 3 and 6. The answer can be either 3 or 6, as when A is 3, 2A is 6 and when A is 6, 2A is 12. However, the question is poorly worded as it does not specify whether 2A means 2 times A or the number 2 followed by the digit A.
dnt
i saw this in a SAT prep book and i cannot figure out what's going on here:

it says: "2A is divisible by both 3 and 6. If A is a digit, what is the value of A?"

seems simple enough but the choices are 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6. don't both 3 and 6 work?

if A is 3, then 2A is 6, and that is divisible by both 3 and 6.

if A is 6, then 2A is 12 and that is divisible by both 3 and 6.

what am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then mean "2A=2*10+A". (A is 4)

i don't understand. how did you get that equation and how did you even solve it?

2A=2*10+A?

wouldnt that mean A = 20? and i still have no ieda how you got that from the info i provided. please help.

dnt,

The question means "the digit 2 followed by some digit A," NOT 2*A.

- Warren

It's the SAT questions like these that kill me.

Any number divisible by 6 is divisible by 3, so it's somewhat superfulous to ask 'divisible by 3 and 6'.

dnt said:
i saw this in a SAT prep book and i cannot figure out what's going on here:

it says: "2A is divisible by both 3 and 6. If A is a digit, what is the value of A?"

seems simple enough but the choices are 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6. don't both 3 and 6 work?

if A is 3, then 2A is 6, and that is divisible by both 3 and 6.

if A is 6, then 2A is 12 and that is divisible by both 3 and 6.

what am i missing?

They meant "2A" as it is written down, not "two times A".

E.g. If "27" is "2A" then "A" is 7. Getit ?

AlphaNumeric said:
Any number divisible by 6 is divisible by 3, so it's somewhat superfulous to ask 'divisible by 3 and 6'.

Every number divisible by 6 is obviously divisible by 3, but not every number divisible by 3 is divisible by 6 (eg.27). That's why the syntax of the question is the way it is: 'divisible by 3 and 6' not 'divisible by 6 and 3'

Markjdb said:
That's why the syntax of the question is the way it is: 'divisible by 3 and 6' not 'divisible by 6 and 3'

That makes no sense at all, the order of the conditions has no bearing when "and" is the conjoiner. The question could simply have stated. "2A is divisible by six", and that would've had the same meaning without the redundancy.

Indeed, I wonder how much time the person(s) who set the question thought about it :rolleyes: . Probably not aslong as we've been discussing it. :rofl:

thanks for the explanations - i do understand it now but i think its a poorly worded question, especially for anyone whos taken algebra (who is probably everyone if you are taking teh SAT).

2A means 2 times A (usually) when in math class.

1. What is the meaning of "digits" in simple math?

"Digits" refer to the symbols used to represent numbers, from 0 to 9. These symbols can be combined to create different numbers, which are the building blocks of mathematical operations.

2. What is the difference between a digit and a number?

A digit is a single symbol used to represent a specific value, while a number is a combination of digits that represents a quantity or value. For example, the number 25 is made up of two digits, 2 and 5.

3. How many digits are there in a standard number system?

In a standard number system, there are 10 digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. This is known as the decimal system and is used in most everyday calculations.

4. What is the purpose of using digits in math?

Digits are used in math as symbols to represent quantities and values. They allow us to perform calculations and solve problems, as well as communicate and record numerical information in a concise and organized way.

5. How are digits used in more advanced math concepts?

In more advanced math concepts, digits are used to represent not only whole numbers but also fractions, decimals, and even imaginary numbers. They are also used in algebraic equations and other mathematical operations to solve complex problems.