Discover the Truth Behind Relative Maximums: A Simple Max/Min Question

• Thread starter duki
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a critical number to be a relative maximum, based on the sign of the second derivative. The participants also mention that these are yes or no questions and suggest referring to a book for more information. Additionally, they provide an example with y=x^2 and y=-x^2 to illustrate the concept.
duki
When given a table listing x, x', and x'' which of the following are true?

if at critical #, second derivative is negative, # is a relative max
if at critical #, second derivative is positive, # is a relative max

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
These are yes or no questions. Read your book!

sorry, I know it seems like I'm not trying.
I was reviewing notes for a test tomorrow and in one section I wrote the first one and then right below it I wrote the second one. If I weren't so pressed on time I would find it in my book but I'm really trying to get finished and get a good nights sleep. D:

Remember this. y=x^2. Second derivative=2. x=0 is a min. y=-x^2. Second derivative=(-2). x=0 is a max.

all right! thanks.

1. What is a relative maximum?

A relative maximum is the highest point on a graph within a specific interval. It is also known as a local maximum since it is only the highest point within that particular interval, not the entire graph.

2. How do you find the relative maximum of a function?

To find the relative maximum of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the x-value of the critical point. Finally, plug that x-value into the original function to find the corresponding y-value, which is the relative maximum.

3. Can a function have more than one relative maximum?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative maximums, depending on the shape of the graph and the number of intervals. Each interval can have its own relative maximum.

4. What is the difference between a relative maximum and an absolute maximum?

A relative maximum is the highest point within a specific interval, while an absolute maximum is the highest point on the entire graph. A relative maximum can also be called a local maximum, while an absolute maximum is also known as a global maximum.

5. How can knowing about relative maximums be useful?

Knowing about relative maximums can be useful in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as optimizing production processes or analyzing stock market trends. It can also help in finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, which can be important in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.