Understanding Moments: A Method for Solving Question 2.b.i.

• Thread starter Magic Mushroom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary: Of course, I forgot to mention that the point of reduction must not be taken at the pivot. Take the point at the end of the bar and set the sum of all moments equal to zero. Further on, after getting the reaction force of the pivot, you may check on your calculation by setting the sum of all forces (not moments) equal to zero.
Magic Mushroom
Hi, I'm having a little trouble with this simple question on moments and I'm wondering if anyone could help me out by giving me a suitable method.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-PHB1-W-QP-JUN05.PDF that is the link and the question is 2.b.i. Please don't give me the answer just the method! :)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Magic Mushroom said:
Hi, I'm having a little trouble with this simple question on moments and I'm wondering if anyone could help me out by giving me a suitable method.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-PHB1-W-QP-JUN05.PDF that is the link and the question is 2.b.i. Please don't give me the answer just the method! :)
Thanks in advance.

The sum of the moments of all forces acting on the bar must vanish (including the weight of the bar). Use that fact to obtain the reaction in the pivot.

Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
The sum of the moments of all forces acting on the bar must vanish (including the weight of the bar). Use that fact to obtain the reaction in the pivot.
This will work for 2.b.i if the moments are calculated about some point other than the pivot. Perhaps the OP is having difficulty because questions 2.a has them thinking only of moments about the pivot.

Alternatively, once the weight of the beam is known from 2.a.iii the reaction in the pivot can be found by summing all the forces to get zero.

OlderDan said:
This will work for 2.b.i if the moments are calculated about some point other than the pivot. Perhaps the OP is having difficulty because questions 2.a has them thinking only of moments about the pivot.

Alternatively, once the weight of the beam is known from 2.a.iii the reaction in the pivot can be found by summing all the forces to get zero.

Of course, I forgot to mention that the point of reduction must not be taken at the pivot. Take the point at the end of the bar and set the sum of all moments equal to zero. Further on, after getting the reaction force of the pivot, you may check on your calculation by setting the sum of all forces (not moments) equal to zero.

1. What is a simple moment question?

A simple moment question is a question that prompts reflection on a specific moment or event in one's life. It is typically used in psychological research or therapy to elicit memories, emotions, and thoughts from individuals.

2. How is a simple moment question different from other types of questions?

A simple moment question differs from other types of questions in that it focuses on a specific moment or event rather than a general topic or concept. It also usually requires a more personal and introspective response rather than a factual answer.

3. What are some examples of simple moment questions?

Examples of simple moment questions include "Can you describe a time when you felt the most content?" and "What was a moment in your childhood that had a big impact on you?" These questions are open-ended and allow for personal interpretation and reflection.

4. What is the purpose of using simple moment questions in research or therapy?

The purpose of using simple moment questions is to gain insight into an individual's personal experiences, thoughts, and emotions. It can help researchers or therapists understand a person's motivations, behaviors, and patterns of thinking.

5. How can I use simple moment questions in my own life?

You can use simple moment questions in your own life by taking time for introspection and self-reflection. Asking yourself questions about specific moments or events can help you gain a deeper understanding of yourself and your experiences.