1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple moment question

1. Oct 14, 2006 #1
    Hi, i'm having a little trouble with this simple question on moments and i'm wondering if anyone could help me out by giving me a suitable method.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-PHB1-W-QP-JUN05.PDF that is the link and the question is 2.b.i. Please don't give me the answer just the method! :)
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

The sum of the moments of all forces acting on the bar must vanish (including the weight of the bar). Use that fact to obtain the reaction in the pivot.

4. Oct 14, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This will work for 2.b.i if the moments are calculated about some point other than the pivot. Perhaps the OP is having difficulty because questions 2.a has them thinking only of moments about the pivot.

Alternatively, once the weight of the beam is known from 2.a.iii the reaction in the pivot can be found by summing all the forces to get zero.

5. Oct 14, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Of course, I forgot to mention that the point of reduction must not be taken at the pivot. Take the point at the end of the bar and set the sum of all moments equal to zero. Further on, after getting the reaction force of the pivot, you may check on your calculation by setting the sum of all forces (not moments) equal to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?