Simple MS Excel Graph question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to create a scatter plot with two lines on Excel. One person followed the steps from a YouTube video and was able to plot the lines in different colors, while the other person's original plot disappeared when they tried to add a second line. The solution suggested is to make a selection of three columns (x, y1, y2) and then insert a scatter plot.
ZedCar
I was watching this YT film about plotting on Excel.

I copied the numbers from the film into an Excel sheet and plotted x against y1 and got a blue coloured plot.

Then I plotted x against y2 and plotted a chart again. Though a second red coloured plot did not appear as in the film. Instead my original plot vanished and the second plot appeared, but again in blue.

How do I have both the x against y1 in blue, and the x against y2 in red on the same scatter plot?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A scatter plot of 2 lines requires 3 columns. x, y1, y2

Try this,

Make a selection (drag the mouse) from the header of X0 the upper left corner to Y2n, the lowermost right datacell. Then insert graph, scatter plot. That should do it.

Thanks Guys!

I would suggest checking your data and making sure that your x values are properly matched with their corresponding y values for both y1 and y2. It is also important to make sure that the data is properly formatted before creating the graph. Additionally, you may need to adjust the settings on the graph to show both plots in different colors. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend consulting Excel's help resources or reaching out to a colleague who is familiar with using Excel for data visualization.

1. How do I create a simple graph in MS Excel?

To create a simple graph in MS Excel, first input your data into a spreadsheet. Then, select the data you want to include in your graph and go to the "Insert" tab. From there, select the type of graph you want to create and customize it by adding titles, labels, and formatting options.

2. Can I change the colors and layout of my graph in MS Excel?

Yes, you can customize the colors and layout of your graph in MS Excel. Simply select the graph and go to the "Format" tab, where you can change the colors, styles, and other design elements of your graph.

3. How do I add a trendline to my graph in MS Excel?

To add a trendline to your graph in MS Excel, select the graph and go to the "Layout" tab. Click on "Trendline" and select the type of trendline you want to add. You can also customize the trendline by right-clicking on it and selecting "Format Trendline."

4. Can I add multiple data sets to one graph in MS Excel?

Yes, you can add multiple data sets to one graph in MS Excel. Simply select the data you want to include and go to the "Insert" tab. From there, select the type of graph you want to create and your data sets will be displayed on the same graph.

5. How do I save my graph as an image or PDF in MS Excel?

To save your graph as an image or PDF in MS Excel, select the graph and go to the "File" tab. From there, click on "Save As" and choose the file format you want to save it as. You can also use the "Export" option to save your graph as an image or PDF.