Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the gain in an inverting amplifier circuit. The speaker had constructed a simulation and was able to determine the gain, but needed to find an analytical expression for it. They were struggling to find the total resistance in a specific part of the circuit, which included three resistors in a strange configuration. The speaker attempted to use the equation V=IR, but the third resistor connected to ground was causing confusion. They asked for help in solving this problem.
xWaffle

Homework Statement

I need to find an expression for the gain in this circuit. I know it is an interting amplifier, because with the models we were given to look at, this one fits the inverting amlpifier. I've also constructed a simulation in a simple Java applet that I have.

My problem is, I need to do this analytically. It is very late right now and I know I'm just having a brain fart. This is what the simplest inverting amplifier looks like:

300px-Op-Amp_Inverting_Amplifier.svg.png

It's fairly obvious that, given a little thinking, the gain on this circuit:

[itex]\frac{V_{in}}{R_{in}} = \frac{-V_{out}}{R_{f}} \rightarrow V_{out} = \frac{R_{f}}{R_{in}} V_{in}[/itex]

The problem is, with my circuit, Rf isn't just one resistor. It's 3, in a very strange configuration, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find the total resistance in that part of the circuit. This is my circuit:

HEHin2I.png

I tried looking at it as sort of a voltage divider, but that third resistor connected to ground is really screwing with my head! Help!

Homework Equations

V = IR is basically all I think you'd need.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above description.

Physics news on Phys.org
R_3 is connected to the ground and R_2 is connected to a point that's at ground potential because of the negative feedback. These are parallel for the purpose of calculating the potential at the point where R2, R3 and R4 meet.

1. What is a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier?

A Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier is a basic electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (op-amp) to amplify an input signal. It is called an inverting amplifier because the output signal is the inverse of the input signal.

2. How does a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier work?

The op-amp takes the input signal and amplifies it by a factor determined by the ratio of two resistors in the circuit. The output signal is then inverted and amplified again by a feedback resistor, resulting in an amplified output signal that is the inverse of the input signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier?

Some advantages of using a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier include high gain, low distortion, and high input impedance. It also has a wide range of applications in various electronic circuits such as audio amplifiers, filters, and oscillators.

4. What are the limitations of a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier?

One limitation of a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier is that it can only amplify signals within a certain range determined by the power supply voltage. It also has a limited bandwidth, meaning it cannot amplify signals with high frequencies. Additionally, op-amps have a small internal resistance which can cause errors in the output signal.

5. How can I calculate the gain of a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier?

The gain of a Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier can be calculated by dividing the feedback resistor by the input resistor. The equation is Gain = - (Rf / Ri) where Rf is the feedback resistor and Ri is the input resistor. The negative sign indicates the inversion of the output signal.