1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Op-Amp Inverting Amplifier

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find an expression for the gain in this circuit. I know it is an interting amplifier, because with the models we were given to look at, this one fits the inverting amlpifier. I've also constructed a simulation in a simple Java applet that I have.

My problem is, I need to do this analytically. It is very late right now and I know I'm just having a brain fart. This is what the simplest inverting amplifier looks like:

300px-Op-Amp_Inverting_Amplifier.svg.png

It's fairly obvious that, given a little thinking, the gain on this circuit:

[itex]\frac{V_{in}}{R_{in}} = \frac{-V_{out}}{R_{f}} \rightarrow V_{out} = \frac{R_{f}}{R_{in}} V_{in}[/itex]

The problem is, with my circuit, Rf isn't just one resistor. It's 3, in a very strange configuration, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find the total resistance in that part of the circuit. This is my circuit:

HEHin2I.png

I tried looking at it as sort of a voltage divider, but that third resistor connected to ground is really screwing with my head! Help!

2. Relevant equations

V = IR is basically all I think you'd need.

3. The attempt at a solution

See above description.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2
    R_3 is connected to the ground and R_2 is connected to a point that's at ground potential because of the negative feedback. These are parallel for the purpose of calculating the potential at the point where R2, R3 and R4 meet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted