1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Pendulum Problem this one's kinda tough

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    A simple Pendulum is made from a 0.65-m-long string and a small ball attached to its free end. The ball is pulled to one side through a small angle and then released from rest. After the ball is released, how much time elapses before it attains its greatest speed?

My Approach:

I used this equation: 2(3.14 or pi)(frequency) = sq(g/L)

2(3.14)f = sq(9.81 m/s^2/0.65m)

f= 0.618 s-1

i found the Period, T.

T = 1/0.618 = 1.62 s

^^answer is not quite there...doesn't correspond with book answer
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Think it through again. What exactly does the period 2 Pi Sqrt(L/g) represent? When does the ball attain its greatest speed?
  4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    ^^^V = Amplitude x Angular Speed ???? how do i get the Amplitude if that is the case?
  5. Nov 12, 2006 #4
  6. Dec 8, 2009 #5
    I had the same problem on an assignment. You are right to calculate the period but you have to figure out when V max is first reached. If the period is the time it takes to move through one whole cycle then the time it takes to reach position zero at first must be one quarter of that time
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?