Simple Projectile Motion Problem. Unknown initial speed.

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the appropriate initial velocity for a ball thrown at a 30 degree angle to land 3 meters from the launch point. The individual attempted to solve the problem using kinematic equations and got a value of 5.829 m/s, but was unsure if the solution was accurate and did not know how to check it. The suggestion was made to use the initial velocity to find the time and then substitute them back into the equations to verify the solution.
TruthSeaker15
A ball is thrown at an unknown speed at an angle of 30 degrees.

The initial and final height from the ground is 0 meters.

What speed should the ball be launched at in order for it to land on the ground 3 meters from the launch point?

Here is what I tried:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/10665499106_3549cac0cc_o.jpg

I got 5.829 m/s but I feel this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
"I feel this is wrong" is OK, but then you should do something about your feeling. Why does that feel wrong? Can you check your solution somehow? In the end, we are not magicians here, you can do whatever we can.

It feels wrong because I'm not sure if my strategy was legitimate. I tried to check it, but I didn't really know how to.

You have used the kinematic equations to find the initial velocity. Now that you have the initial velocity, you can also find the time; then substitute the time and the initial velocity back into the equations and see whether you get what you should.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known and unknown variables. In this case, we know the angle of launch (30 degrees), the initial and final height (0 meters), and the horizontal displacement (3 meters). The unknown variable is the initial speed of the ball.

Next, I would use the equations of motion for projectile motion to solve for the initial speed. Since the vertical displacement is 0 meters, we can use the equation h = h0 + v0sinθt - 1/2gt^2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Since the initial and final height are the same, the first term on the right side of the equation cancels out. We are left with 0 = v0sinθt - 1/2gt^2. We can rearrange this equation to solve for v0: v0 = 1/2gt^2/sinθt.

Plugging in the known values, we get v0 = 1/2(9.8 m/s^2)(3 meters)/sin(30 degrees)(3 meters). This simplifies to v0 = 5.83 m/s.

Therefore, the ball should be launched at a speed of approximately 5.83 m/s in order to land 3 meters from the launch point. This is consistent with the value you obtained, so it is likely correct. However, it is always important to double-check your calculations and make sure your units are consistent.

What is simple projectile motion?

Simple projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is only acted upon by gravity and moves in a curved path known as a parabola.

What are the components of simple projectile motion?

The components of simple projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the height of launch, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time of flight.

How do you calculate the initial velocity in a simple projectile motion problem?

The initial velocity can be calculated using the formula V₀ = √(g*d/sin(2θ)), where V₀ is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the horizontal distance traveled, and θ is the angle of launch.

What is the formula for calculating the time of flight in a simple projectile motion problem?

The formula for calculating the time of flight is t = (2*V₀*sin(θ))/g, where t is the time of flight, V₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How can you determine the impact point of a projectile in a simple projectile motion problem?

The impact point, or the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile, can be calculated using the formula d = (V₀²*sin(2θ))/g, where d is the horizontal distance, V₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.