Is 5 N/m² a Reasonable Young's Modulus for Wood?

In summary, the author found that their value for Youngs modulus for a wooden meter-rule was 5.10 x 10^7 Pa and that this agrees to the same order of magnitude as an accepted value of 5 GPa given in a reference.
lionely
I did a practical worked the gradient and calculated E, of a wooden metre rule.

What I want is a value to compare my value with, I got 5 N/m2

So 5N will bend the ruler 1m? Seems likely right?

Physics news on Phys.org
On that page isn't that Mega Pascals?? I got 5Pa

and maybe on that page those are MUCH higher maybe cause they calculated it using woods of greater thickness,length, etc.

Ohhhh LOL I'm sorry I didn't even see what I typed
my mind was away. I didn't mean 5 Newtons would bend it 1m

Would you get a higher modulus if you used a thicker beam?
It's a material property. How is the modulus defined?

You can also look for other people who've done the same and talked about it.
It's a common enough experiment - done either by vertical deflection by weights or by Timing harmonic motion.

I found out my value is very wrong D: I need to recheck my calculations

I am so stupid =.= I left off a 10^-8 somewhere in my calculations.

New value which makes sense NOW is 5.10 x 10^7Pa.

Sigh again i was wrong I did it over again I got 5,108.1 MPa

When you have measurements on such a wide variation of scales, it is very easy to misplace lots of zeros :)

You can see from the discussion of accuracy in the article that these can get very big (as much as 56% it says) so you only need the right order of magnitude. "Conclude: Youngs modulus for a wooded meter-rule was experimentally determined to be _____GPa. This agrees to the same order of magnitude as an accepted value of _____GPa given in ref. ______."

If you did errors then you can also comment on how good the agreement was.

Thank you.

1. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It describes the relationship between stress (force applied) and strain (resulting deformation) in a material under uniform tension or compression.

2. How is Young's modulus measured?

Young's modulus is typically measured by subjecting a sample of the material to a known amount of stress and then measuring the resulting strain. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a tensile testing machine.

3. What factors affect Young's modulus?

The Young's modulus of a material is affected by several factors, including its composition, microstructure, and temperature. Generally, materials with a higher modulus have a stiffer and more rigid structure.

4. Why is Young's modulus important?

Young's modulus is an important property in materials science and engineering as it helps determine the strength and stiffness of a material. It is also used in the design and testing of structures to ensure they can withstand the expected amount of stress and strain.

5. How does Young's modulus differ from other modulus values?

There are three main modulus values: Young's modulus, shear modulus, and bulk modulus. Young's modulus specifically measures the resistance of a material to changes in length or volume due to applied stress, while shear modulus measures resistance to changes in shape and bulk modulus measures resistance to changes in volume. They all relate to different types of stress and deformation in a material.