How Do You Calculate Voltmeter Readings Across Multiple Points?

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential difference between points A and B, B and C, and A and C using a voltmeter. The potential difference between A and B is 8V and between B and C is 4V. The conversation also mentions using Ohm's law to determine the current through each branch and the voltage-loss over each resistor in order to calculate the potential difference between points A and C. The conversation also touches on the use of an ideal voltage meter and calculating the current through each branch when the resistors are not identical.
nokia8650
See attachment.

The questions I have are finding the potential difference between A and B, between B and C, and finding the reading on a voltmeter placed between A and C.

I think that:

the potential difference between A and B is 8V.

between B and C is 4V

However, I was having trouble finding the reading on a voltmeter placed between A and C. Please can someone explain to me how to arrive at the correct answer.

Thank you.

Attachments

• circ.jpg
    circ.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
What do those rectangles represent?

If you know the voltage of A with respect to B and of C with respect to B, just subtract to find the voltage between A and C.

Last edited:
The rectangles are resistors. Which do I subract from the other?

Thanks

nokia8650 said:
Which do I subract from the other?
Doesn't matter. All you need is the magnitude of the voltage difference between them.

Thanks, is there any sort of formula/rule which I can use, rather than blindly subracting one from the other?

Thanks

All you are doing is finding the voltage difference between two points. Since you know the voltage of each with respect to a common reference (point B), all you need to do is compare them to see the difference (which is found by subtraction).

The rectangles are probably resistors.
What are their values?

You have probably done all this already to get to the potential difference AB and BC, but just in case:

The steps you need to take to answer your question:

1. Determine the effective resistance.
2. Determine the total current (through the source) using Ohm's law.
3. Determine the current through each branch using Ohm's law (remember that a current gets split up in parallel branches, while potential does not. Potential 'splits up' between resistors.)
4. Now you know the current through each branch (which will be the same for every resistor on that branch) you can use Ohm's law (yes, again) to calculate the voltage-loss over each resistor and thus you can calculate the potential difference on each point (A, B and C).

The potential difference between A and C [tex]V_{AC}[/tex] is just [tex]V_A - V_C[/tex].EDIT
Maybe you were put off by the fact that the question is asked differently.
A voltage meter is simply a device that reads the voltage difference between the two points it's connected on.
An ideal voltage meter (which you are most probably using) has an infinite input resistance which means no current is going to flow into the meter, so the network has not been changed by adding the voltage meter.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the help. The resistors are meant to be identical, and so its not quite as complicated as you explained, however that was very useful help for the future. Had the resistances been not equal, how would I carry out step 3 - determining how much current was through each branch?

Thanks

Assuming you know the total current (through the source) (let's call it [tex]I[/tex]) then using Ohm's law you can calculate the current through each branch.

Let [tex]R_L[/tex] be the effective resistance of the left branch and [tex]R_R[/tex] the effective resistance of the right branch.
Then, [tex]I_L[/tex] (current through left branch) is equal to [tex]\frac{12}{R_L}[/tex] and [tex]I_R = \frac{12}{R_R}[/tex].

This is just Ohm's law: [tex]V = IR[/tex] or [tex]I = \frac{V}{R}[/tex]

Last edited:
ahh yes, thanks, its so obvious! I really appreciate the help!

1. What is a potential difference?

A potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force for the flow of electric current.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected to the two points in the circuit. The voltmeter measures the difference in electric potential energy between the two points and displays it in volts.

3. What causes a potential difference?

A potential difference is caused by the separation of electric charges in a circuit. This can occur through the use of a battery or power source, which creates a difference in electric potential energy between the positive and negative terminals.

4. Why is potential difference important in circuits?

Potential difference is essential in circuits because it is the driving force for the flow of electric current. Without a potential difference, there would be no flow of electrons, and the circuit would not function.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

The higher the potential difference, the greater the flow of electric current. This is because a higher potential difference creates a greater driving force for the electrons to move through the circuit. Conversely, a lower potential difference will result in a lower flow of electric current.