Calculating Weight of Concrete Column

In summary, the problem is to determine the weight of a concrete column with a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m, given that the density of concrete is 2.45\frac{Mg}{m^3}. After converting the units and using the formula for volume, the problem can be solved by setting up a simple ratio with the mass as the unknown. The mistake made was using the incorrect radius in the calculation. The correct calculation gives a weight of 1.04 kip. However, it is important to note that pounds are units of mass and not weight.
Mesmer
A concrete column has a diameter of 350mm and a length of 2m. If the density (mass/volume) of concrete is [tex]2.45\frac{Mg}{m^3}[/tex]. determine the weight of the column in pounds

The answer to this problem is given as 1.04 kip not pounds like the question ask for, but that is not my problem. This seems like and probably is an easy problem to answer but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here is what I've done to solve this problem:

The first thing I did was change the Mg to Kg and the mm to m. No biggy.
The only other info I have is the dimension of the column. I used that to find the volume of the column [tex] V_c= \pi*r^2*h[/tex]. Then i just formed a simple ratio with the mass as my unknown. This method does not work for me. any Ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you remember to convert your mass into pounds?

Post your full solution if you're still having problems, as that's the only way we'll be able to see where you're going wrong!

edit: Also, did you note that mg≠Mg?

Last edited:
cristo said:
Did you remember to convert your mass into pounds?

Post your full solution if you're still having problems, as that's the only way we'll be able to see where you're going wrong!

I did convert the mass to weight using Weight = (mass)(gravity)

radius= 150m
height=2m
density=[tex]2450\frac{kg} {m^3}[/tex]

Now all I have to do Is set up the ratio :[tex]2450\frac{kg}{m^3}=\frac{?}{0.141372m^3}[/tex]

Then I solved for the unknown (?) and converted that answer to lbs

Last edited:
Mesmer said:
I did convert the mass to weight using Weight = (mass)(gravity)

Pounds are units of mass. There is a mistake in your question.

radius= 150m
height=2m
density=[tex]2450\frac{kg}{m^3}[/tex]

OK

Now all I have to do Is set up the ratio :[tex]2450\frac{kg}{m^3}=\frac{?}{0.141372m^3}[/tex]

I would write this as [tex]\rho=\frac{m}{V} \Rightarrow m=\rho V [/tex], where [itex]\rho[/itex] denotes density, m denotes mass, and V denotes volume.

Rearranging in terms of algebraic symbols is easier. Unfortunately, I get a different value for V than you. Show your calculation.

Then I solved for the unknown (?) and converted that answer to lbs

Ok, this should work, show your working!

edit: Kurdt spotted your mistake- I didn't read that properly!

Last edited:
Where does the radius of 150m come from? A millimeter (mm) is one thousandth of a meter.

Also your method is wrong, do as cristo suggests and find the mass of the column then convert to pounds.

I see what I did now. When I found the radius I used 0.150m instead of the correct 0.175m. Now I have it right :) Thank you.

Mesmer said:
I see what I did now. When I found the radius I used 0.150m instead of the correct 0.175m. Now I have it right :) Thank you.

You're welcome, but please take onboard my point about algebraic expressions; it will help a lot in future study!

1. How do I calculate the weight of a concrete column?

The weight of a concrete column can be calculated by multiplying its volume by its density. The volume can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the column by its height. The density of concrete typically ranges from 140-150 pounds per cubic foot.

2. What is the formula for calculating the weight of a concrete column?

The formula for calculating the weight of a concrete column is weight = volume x density. The volume can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the column by its height, and the density of concrete is typically 140-150 pounds per cubic foot.

3. How do I determine the cross-sectional area of a concrete column?

The cross-sectional area of a concrete column can be determined by measuring the width and depth of the column and then using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the column (half of its width or depth).

4. Can the weight of a concrete column be affected by its shape or design?

Yes, the weight of a concrete column can be affected by its shape or design. For example, a column with a larger cross-sectional area will weigh more than a column with a smaller cross-sectional area, even if they have the same height and density.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the density of concrete used in a column?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the density of concrete used in a column. These include the type and amount of cement, water-cement ratio, aggregates used, curing process, and any additives or admixtures. It is important to carefully follow the recommended mix design and construction practices to ensure the proper density of the concrete column.