Simple Torque Problem With Picture, Help

In summary, raven2783 is struggling to understand the concept of torque, and needs help understanding how to calculate the torque of a force. To do so, she needs to use trigonometry and find the angle PAB between the line of force and the axes, and then use that information to find the distance PB.
raven2783

Homework Statement

momentforceproblem.gif

Homework Equations

Torque(n/m)=Force(N)*Length(L)
Basic Trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

The concept of torque is new to me, so I just need a push in the right direction here. lbs and ft are used so we are using non-metric? Should I convert them to metric? How do lbs convert to Newtons? One pound-force is 4.448222N right? Am I going in the right direction?

T=LF

Length=10ft
Force=250lbs

We can't just do LF without some trig, and this where I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
raven2783 said:
The concept of torque is new to me, so I just need a push in the right direction here. lbs and ft are used so we are using non-metric? Should I convert them to metric? How do lbs convert to Newtons? One pound-force is 4.448222N right?

We can't just do LF without some trig, and this where I don't know where to start.

Hi raven2783! :smile:

Why are you worrying about the units? If the question is in lbs, then you answer in lbs! :rolleyes:

Torque (moment of force) = force times perpendicular distance.

For that, you will need to find the angle between the force and PA.

Just work out the angle of that 3,4,5 triangle, and combine it appropriately with the given angle. :smile:

I know how to do all the math, it is the conceptual part I don't have... can someone explain to me the picture in terms of the question??

What is PA? Point angle, I'm so confused.

raven2783 said:
What is PA? Point angle, I'm so confused.

PA is the line from P to A on the diagram.

You need to multiply the force (250 lbs) by the distance PB, where B is the foot of the perpendicular from P to the line of force.

So you need to use trig to find the angle PAB, and then use that to find the distance PB. :smile:

So AB would be straight down from initial point A? And what is the 3,4,5 triangle telling me? The proportions of PAB? If so then AB would be the 3 and PA would be the 5?

What if I just did cos(30)*10, wouldn't that give me PB? Then I could do 250*PB. But I need the perpendicular don't I...so

sin(30)10 will give me the perpendicular to the x-axis AB then I can do

arccos(sin(30)10/10) to get PAB. Then Law of sines

sin(30)10/30deg=PB/PAB then to get the answer...

PB*250.. right?

Hi raven2783! :smile:
raven2783 said:
So AB would be straight down from initial point A?

Nooo … that B is the foot of the perpendicular from P to the y-axis.

I said the foot of the perpendicular from the line of the force to P to the line of the force.

(I couldn't give it letters because there isn't a letter on the diagram for the endpoint).

The reason is that the torque of the force (about P) is defined as the force times the perpendicular distance from P … that is, times PB. :wink:
And what is the 3,4,5 triangle telling me? The proportions of PAB? If so then AB would be the 3 and PA would be the 5?

No … it tells you the angles between the line of force and the axes …

which you need to find the angle PAB, which you need to find the distance PB.

Try again! :smile:

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you determine the direction of torque?

The direction of torque is determined by the direction of the applied force and the direction of rotation. If the force and rotation are in the same direction, the torque is considered positive. If they are in opposite directions, the torque is considered negative.

3. What is the lever arm in a torque problem?

The lever arm is the perpendicular distance between the axis of rotation and the line of action of the force. It is an important factor in calculating torque as it affects the magnitude of the force's moment arm.

4. How do you solve a simple torque problem with a picture?

To solve a simple torque problem with a picture, you first need to identify the axis of rotation, the force applied, and the distance between the axis and the point of application of the force. Then, you can use the formula torque = force x distance to calculate the torque.

5. What are some real-life applications of torque?

Torque is involved in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, or riding a bike. It is also important in more complex machines, such as car engines and industrial machinery, to produce rotational motion and perform work.