Solve Simple Torsion Problem: Calculate Maximum Torque on 25mm Shaft

• Thread starter Iclaudius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torsion
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a shaft made from a tube with specific dimensions and a maximum shear stress requirement. The individual has attempted to calculate the maximum torque using various formulas, but has not been successful. They seek advice and clarification on the problem and potential solutions.
Iclaudius
Hiya friends,

so i have a little problem,

A shaft is made from tube 25 mm outer diameter and 20 mm inner diameter. The shear stress must not exceed 150 Mpa. Calculate the maximum torque that should be placed on it

ok so we have T/J = tau/r
so T = (tau/r)*J - this should give me my answer right I'm using tau = 150Mpa, r= 20mm, and J = (pi/32)(25^(4)-20^(4)), this however does not give me the answer which is 271.69 Nm

ps i have tried using both 25 and 20 respectively for the r value without any sucess, any help advice is appreciated, thanks in advance

Claudius

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind people, a foolish oversight on my part :redface:

Is this not a shear flow problem

T=2aSflow

[tex]T = \frac{\pi }{4}*{\left( {22.5} \right)^2}*5*150*{10^{ - 3}}*{10^{ - 3}}*{10^{ - 3}}*{10^6} = 298.2[/tex]

Sorry the I can't open the link.

However you have to admit that if your link provides a more accurate solution the shear flow approximation gets pretty close, pretty easily.

What shear distribution are you assuming?

The link unfortunately just gives a straight answer without working, to answer your question however the shear distribution is assumed to be linear

1. What is a simple torsion question?

A simple torsion question is a type of scientific inquiry that involves studying the behavior and properties of materials under torsional loads, or twisting forces. This can include investigating how different materials respond to torsional stress and how their mechanical properties change as a result.

2. What are some real-world applications of simple torsion?

Simple torsion is an important concept in engineering and materials science, and has many practical applications. It is used in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures to ensure they can withstand torsional forces. It is also relevant in the development of new materials and in studying the behavior of biological structures, such as bones and muscles.

3. What factors can influence the behavior of a material under torsion?

There are several factors that can affect how a material responds to torsional forces, including its composition, microstructure, and temperature. The shape and size of the material can also play a role, as well as the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

4. How is simple torsion different from other types of mechanical testing?

Simple torsion is a specific type of mechanical testing that focuses on the response of materials to twisting forces. It is different from other types of mechanical testing, such as tension and compression, which involve pulling and pushing forces, respectively.

5. What is the significance of studying simple torsion in materials science?

Studying simple torsion is important for understanding the mechanical behavior of materials, which is essential for designing and developing new materials and structures. It also helps to identify potential weaknesses and vulnerabilities in materials, which can inform improvements and advancements in various industries.