1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Vector prob

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The current in a river is flowing northwest with a speed of 1.5 m/s. You are swimming due east with a speed of 2 m/s relative to the water. What is your speed (in m/s) relative to the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    vm,g = vw,g + vw,m

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried all sorts of playing around getting answers such as .5, 2.5, 3. I set x to the east as positive and y north positive. The water is actually traveling in a negative x direction so how do I account for that?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By using minus signs :smile:
    Pls post your working.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #3
    I dont know if I'd call it work but i just plugged in the values that were given in the the problem into the equation stated. The different answers come from different combos of these numbers and then i checked them against an online quiz. Something tells me i have to turn these into a parametric equation but im at a loss

5. Feb 5, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please show your work! You say "i just plugged in the values that were given in the the problem into the equation stated." I suspect that the problem is that you do not understand the equation. Do you understand that [itex]v_{wg}[/itex] and [itex]v_{mm}[itex] are vectors, not numbers?

6. Feb 5, 2013 #5
    I will show my work. I apologize....I was posting from my phone on the bus ride home last night and this morning.

My next thought it to try and deconstruct -1.5 m/s NW into i and j. Using θ=45 in quad 2 for NW I tried to solve -1sin (x/-1.5) = 45 and came up with -1.062. Then set 1.5 = ((1.062)2 + (x)2)1/2 and solved x = 1.368267.

Vw,g = -1.062i + 1.368267j
    Vm,w = 2i

Vm,g = Vw,g + Vm,w = -1.062i + 1.368267j + 2i

= .938i + 1.368267j

(.9382+1.3682672)1/2 = 1.67 m/s

I'm sure I'm all over the place

7. Feb 5, 2013 #6
    I found it. Just going through the motions of showing the work helps tremendously. Thanks folks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook