Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplification of an integral please explain

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    In doing math I try not to memorize shortcuts/simplifications, but instead understand what's happening. When studying integrals, my professor gave out a few "simplifications" for us to use on problems; most of which I have been able to figure out, except one. I just cannot seem to figure out the relationship given, please help clarify/explain. Thankyou.

[tex]\int(\sqrt{a^2-u^2})du[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{u}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\left(\sqrt{a^2-u^2}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\left(\frac{a^2}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\left(sin^{-1}\left(\frac{u}{a}\right)\right)[/tex] + C

I have tried:
    - u substitution
    - trig substitution
    - IBP

*It could be my steps, maybe I'm just doing the intermediates wrong.
    **it took a really long time to put that formula in

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi phys-lexic! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Try substituting u = asinθ, then use a couple of the standard trigonometric identities :smile:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    What he said. An integral with a difference of squares suggests a certain right triangle, and that can be used to suggest a certain trigonometric substitution. In this case, [itex]u = a \sin\theta[/itex]

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4
    Thankyou, the trig-substitution worked and I set up the correct proof. If you wouldn't mind, we were assigned homework for an exam review. I finished the regular problems, but he gave us three "critical thinking" problems that would be way harder than the exam. I can do them all, but one is giving me issue (I cannot seem to find the final value of x after doing the integral). Here is a link to the problem I posted in the homework section, thankyou again).

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2679179#post2679179

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook