Simplification of an integral please explain

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integrating a square root function and the use of trigonometric substitution to solve it. The conversation also mentions a homework problem that is proving to be difficult.
phys-lexic
In doing math I try not to memorize shortcuts/simplifications, but instead understand what's happening. When studying integrals, my professor gave out a few "simplifications" for us to use on problems; most of which I have been able to figure out, except one. I just cannot seem to figure out the relationship given, please help clarify/explain. Thankyou.

[tex]\int(\sqrt{a^2-u^2})du[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{u}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\left(\sqrt{a^2-u^2}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\left(\frac{a^2}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\left(sin^{-1}\left(\frac{u}{a}\right)\right)[/tex] + C

I have tried:
- u substitution
- trig substitution
- IBP

*It could be my steps, maybe I'm just doing the intermediates wrong.
**it took a really long time to put that formula in

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi phys-lexic! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Try substituting u = asinθ, then use a couple of the standard trigonometric identities :smile:

Last edited:
What he said. An integral with a difference of squares suggests a certain right triangle, and that can be used to suggest a certain trigonometric substitution. In this case, [itex]u = a \sin\theta[/itex]

Thankyou, the trig-substitution worked and I set up the correct proof. If you wouldn't mind, we were assigned homework for an exam review. I finished the regular problems, but he gave us three "critical thinking" problems that would be way harder than the exam. I can do them all, but one is giving me issue (I cannot seem to find the final value of x after doing the integral). Here is a link to the problem I posted in the homework section, thankyou again).

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2679179#post2679179

Related to Simplification of an integral please explain

1. How do you simplify an integral?

To simplify an integral, you first need to identify the variable and the limits of integration. Then, use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or partial fractions to simplify the integrand. Finally, integrate the simplified expression and evaluate it at the limits of integration.

2. Why is it important to simplify an integral?

Simplifying an integral can make it easier to solve and can also provide insights into the behavior of the function being integrated. It can also help in finding exact solutions instead of numerical approximations.

3. Can you simplify any integral?

No, not all integrals can be simplified. Some integrals may have no closed-form solution and can only be evaluated numerically. In such cases, simplification is not possible.

4. What are some common techniques for simplifying integrals?

Some common techniques for simplifying integrals include using trigonometric identities, u-substitution, integration by parts, and recognizing patterns such as the power rule or the product rule.

5. Are there any limitations to simplifying integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to simplifying integrals. Some integrals may be too complex to simplify, while others may have no closed-form solution. In addition, simplification may not always lead to an exact solution and may only provide an approximation.