Simplify Expression: f(x) 1/x^2 -4, x+1 - x^2/x+2

You can also upload XML files if you want to use the PF parser for equations.In summary, the problem is to simplify the expression: f(x) = x+1 - x^2/(x+2), 1/x^2 -4, leaving the answer as a quadratic polynomial. The possible answers given are 3x^2 + 4x + 4, x^2-4x + 4, x^2 -4x - 4, 3x^2 +4x - 4, x^2 +4x - 4, and 3x^2 -4x -4. The comma in the expression is causing confusion and it is unclear if the two expressions should be
slywolf1992

Homework Statement

simplify the expression: f(x) = x+1 - x^2/x+2,
1/x^2 -4

Homework Equations

leaving the answer as a quadratic polynomial.

1. = 3x^2 + 4x + 4
2. = x^2-4x + 4
3. x^2 -4x - 4
4. 3x^2 +4x - 4
5. x^2 +4x - 4
6. 3x^2 -4x -4

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 6 but I think that is wrong. The comma is confusing me. Please help.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

slywolf1992 said:

Homework Statement

simplify the expression: f(x) = x+1 - x^2/x+2,
1/x^2 -4

Homework Equations

leaving the answer as a quadratic polynomial.

1. = 3x^2 + 4x + 4
2. = x^2-4x + 4
3. x^2 -4x - 4
4. 3x^2 +4x - 4
5. x^2 +4x - 4
6. 3x^2 -4x -4

I got 6 but I think that is wrong. The comma is confusing me. Please help.

As written, your first expression means
[tex]x+1-\frac{x^2}{x}+2 = x+1-x+2 = 3.[/tex]
Did you actually mean
[tex]x+1 - \frac{x^2}{x+2} \text{ or } \frac{x+1-x^2}{x+2}\,?[/tex]
If you mean the first, write it as x+1 - x^2/(x+2) [note the bracket!]; if you mean the second, write it as (x + 1 - x^2)/(x+2) [Note both brackets.]

RGV

I mean the first one.

slywolf1992 said:
I mean the first one.

OK, so re-writing what you wrote we now have x+1 - x^2/(x+2), 1/x^2-4. Does this mean two separate expressions (namely, x+1 - x^2/(x+2) and either (1/x^2) - 4 or 1/(x^2-4)), or does ...,1/x^2-4 stand for something else that I cannot figure out?

RGV

That's what is bothering me. The comma makes no sense. Do you mind telling me your email so I can just email the picture I snapped of the problem? It might make more sense to see it as is. If not, do you know how I can link a photo to the forum post?

There's an insert image button just underneath the smiley in your reply options. I think you'll need to upload the image onto the net though, using imageshack or some other site.

You can also upload an image to PF and "attach" it to your post, provided it meets certain size restrictions. Use the "Manage Attachments" button below the message-entry pane. You'll see the size restrictions then.

Related to Simplify Expression: f(x) 1/x^2 -4, x+1 - x^2/x+2

1. What does f(x) mean in this expression?

f(x) represents a function with an input value of x. It is used to represent a general rule or formula that can be applied to different values of x.

2. How do I simplify this expression?

To simplify this expression, you can combine like terms and use the distributive property. First, combine the terms in the numerator by finding a common denominator. Then, use the distributive property to simplify the expression further.

3. Can this expression be written in a different form?

Yes, this expression can be written in different forms depending on the context. For example, it can be written as a single fraction by using the common denominator in the numerator. It can also be written in factored form by factoring out common terms.

4. What values of x are not allowed in this expression?

The values of x that are not allowed in this expression are those that would result in a division by zero. In this case, x cannot equal 2 or -1 since these values would make the denominator equal to zero, which is undefined.

5. How can I use this simplified expression in a real-world problem?

This simplified expression can be used in a real-world problem by plugging in specific values for x. This will give you the corresponding output value based on the function represented by f(x). For example, if the simplified expression is used to model a cost function, you can plug in different values for x to find the cost at different quantities.